how safe are modern chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy,

In answer to your first question, modern saws generally cut faster than older ones. If you get your leg in there because you pushed a dull chain on through a cut, they will be found to cut quite nicely. A lot better in the leg than in the wood.

As far as chainbrakes themselves, yes they can help in certain circumstances, such as kickback straight up over the top, or if they are inertia brakes, even at off angles. A couple of my friends have managed to miss getting sliced because these things actually did work. The handguard is almost as important as the brake however, but you don't hear much about it. It seems the vast majority of chainsaw operators, yes even the pros, can not help but get their thumb up there on top of that front handle bar, and when they do, it is only a quesion of time before the hand slips off and into the top chain. I got to patch a guy up from this once, and I assure you, he will never again run a saw without a chainbrake and hand guard. (He was limbing a standing jackpine).

Myself; the only scar on me from a chainsaw is from a cutter slice when the file slipped due to a poor quality chain having chrome all over the place so the file could not cut, and only slid.

No safety device can always protect a loose nut behind the handlebars from himself, when he insists on using a machine that is designed to cut.

Regards,
Walt Galer

kam,
there is much more to "modern chainsaws" than cutting faster than the old ones. when looking for chainsaws on todays market you should look for throttle interlock, chain catch, hand gaurd under rear handle and chain brake. for the novice, reduced kick-back bar and chain is a plus. all cutters should wear the protective package. helmet system to protect face, hearing and head. chaps to protect the legs. good boots to protect the foot. good gloves should be worn to protect the hands. ballistic shirts are also avilible. besides good chainsaw training, chainsaw operators need to learn good woods safety. anyone can get killed in the woods before they even fire-up a chainsaw. the woods are full of hazards and cutting trees only adds to them. knowledge is what will save you from serious injury or worse in the woods or behind a chainsaw!!!!!!!!!!!!! protect yourselves; marty

I think the little humdinger that is below the chain, chain catcher, has saved my ass a couple times. Never when I was cutting, just setting the high end on a saw. Worst was a new 066, 24" bar, had it full bore and the chain come off and went between my legs and slapped me in the ass.

I was white as a ghost after that incident.

safety

kam,

Most saws today sold through the local dealers and the big box stores come ready out of the box with most of the features you need for safe cutting. Unfortunately most big box stores don't have a salesman standing next to you advising you on the proper operation of the equipment your buying. I've found through the years that the most overlooked thing one can do to save yourself from getting a first class trip to the Emergency Room is protective clothing.This is a subject in which some dealers overlook as well. Some guys think its cumbersome to wear that safety helmet or the chaps, or the steel toed boots. I know plenty of guys that will show you their 1/2 a knee cap or the chunk of muscle missing from their leg to prove that protective clothing is key. Practice and training are just as important. My toes thanked me for steel toe boots when the chain on my 084 gernaded and took the leather right off the front of my boot.:eek:

Hi there, I remember when chain brakes were first in vogue in the early eighties, no one liked them cause the handles hooked on everything from branches to everything sight, they seeemed to reduce the streamlined shape of a saw and many cutters choped off the silly seeming apendage on their Huskies. Nowadays they fit into the program and are very effective, especially to casual users who have more frequent kickback due to dull and improperly filed chain. The saw must be controled at all times, and its the fear of using one that causes an operator to react inappropriately when a situation arises that can cause injury.
I am pretty sure that chainbreaks reduce injury, but fatigue and inexperience can cause one to trip into a chain. Chaps should be the norm when using a power saw as should hearing protection.
A firm grip on the saw is a must, but not for dear life. A gentle relaxed dance is the best way, with you leading.
John

whell i have to say one thing that the modern saws are only as safe as the opperator is. you have to be thinking at all time while using a chainsaw. i made that mistake once and had ot wear a leg brace for a month cause of it. it was not pretty. i had a chain break on the saw but the direction that it kicked it was not able to be tripped and it did me no good. but i do agree that chainsaws cut flesh a hell of a lot faster than wood. just a little love tap for mine left my knee cap in pieces.

chain saws are about as safe as the attachement - ie. dont ever forget what you are using - if you do it will probably bite - a big chunk out of you. if you dont feel comfortable get some training and always wear the appropriate safety apparel.

I am in agreeance with everyone here...one cannot express enough of the importance of the proper safety gear...bucking pants or chaps...I personally dont like chaps, I wear pants, and a hard hat with a visor!! safety glasses work..just not for me and my glasses..I dont cut firewood without them...have seen too many friends layed up..with splinters in eyes or cuts in legs....my boots have enough nicks to be warnings...

Hey, Howdy, Hey, Kam,

Chain braking systems are fabulous!!! I think the inertia brakes are a really neat deal -- next to sliced bread! :cool: Deck cutting multiply logs can be tricky and is worse when the saw wants to come up for a visit. :eek: My inertia brake trips a couple a times a day and sometimes more. I use the chain brake when I'm dancing across a pile of cut wood going to the next cut.
My partner the other day had a log roll down and jam his tip and the saw bounced up and hit a log above it so hard it drove the chain clear down into the sprocket tip and lots of pretty bearings came out! Wrong kind of chain brake! :D

Wendell , Mower of Woodville

Are new chainsaws safer than old? I would defenatly say yes chainbrakes and higher speeds are proof of that. I think of it this way are new cars safer than old ones I hope so but people still die every year in car accidents. It comes down to it that a machine is only as safe as the one using it.

Safe Cutting

Back