How should I trim this tree (maple)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arboristwannabee

Reaction score
IMG_1539.JPG The power company came and cut down a few small branches that were rubbing against the service line part of the power line when the wind blew (they laughed at me for calling them for such a small job too). I'm wondering, what else should I trim in this maple over the power line? One branch is injured; There is green stuff on the bark. Any tips greatly appreciated!

Perfect example of a tree in the wrong place. Can we a shot of the whole tree? Maples often don't respond well to heavy pruning but imo, I would hire a pro to remove at least everything on the right side of the picture, if not the whole tree. I like to fix problems once.

Perfect example of a tree in the wrong place. Can we a shot of the whole tree? Maples often don't respond well to heavy pruning but imo, I would hire a pro to remove at least everything on the right side of the picture, if not the whole tree. I like to fix problems once.

Wow, you have significant advice! Thank you!! May I ask for specifics if you don't mind - what's wrong on the right side?

The power company guy was being a knob if his laughing was suggesting that you should have done the trimming yourself.
Dont mess around with secondary powerlines, they can be dangerous too.

When it comes to maintaining clearance around power/service or telephone lines, you can prune a little bit more often or prune more, less often. Or as buzzsawyer recommended, full removal, which would fix the clearance problem for good.

Having the powerline company in will usually result in the minimum amount pruned away each time.
If you hired an Arborist, they could assess the tree as a whole, and if its a keeper, you could decide together how much could be pruned away from the lines and take care of any broken or dead limbs while up there.

Wow, you have significant advice! Thank you!! May I ask for specifics if you don't mind - what's wrong on the right side?
I was assuming the tree overhanging the shed on the right is the tree in question, right? If so, too close to power lines and will continue to be a problem. Minor pruning will only give short term relief. Drastic reduction will risk decay. See photo - red line is the least I would remove but you will get a bunch of suckers. Might be nice to see other angles of the tree. Is this a Silver Maple? View attachment 804996IMG_1539.JPG

from the red line that @buzz sawyer drew, I'd probably only look at having the the left half of that pruned - right below the red line...or maybe go up a little from that and pruned the left half of the left half. (does that make sense?)

Note; I would have it pruned by somebody with line clearance certifications and an insulated boom. I prune trees for a living. But not trees in wires.

Do all those wires go over your roof??? Do they have a ROW for that? seems very odd.

Latest posts

Back