How to attach child's swing to sycamore?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any suggestions on the safest and least harmful way to attach a child's rope swing to a sycamore? Mine has a branch that's horizontal and about 5in in diameter about 15' out from the main trunk. Searching on 'swing' in this forum turned up one suggestion to just screw in steel eyebolts. Any better methods?

Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

-Kevin

We fitted many swing seats ,& hammocks.We always used good quality forged eye bolts to hang them from they are extremely durable and, is about as minimal
impact to the tree cambium as you could hope for (other than not hanging the swing at all!).

Any suggestions on the safest and least harmful way to attach a child's rope swing to a sycamore? Mine has a branch that's horizontal and about 5in in diameter about 15' out from the main trunk. Searching on 'swing' in this forum turned up one suggestion to just screw in steel eyebolts. Any better methods?

Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

-Kevin

It was just pointed out to me by a very knowledgable friend that a 5" dia branch just barely is acceptable for a 1/2" bolt. I know I advised to be sure the branch was up for the task but with this in mind you might want to consider attaching the swing closer to the trunk in larger wood.

This would be a more appropriate attachment point for both diameter of limb and reduced leverage.

Dave

Back