How to calculate cords need

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What wood setup do you have now? Just wondering as I am installing a whole house wood furnace right now. Already got it in the basement ready to be connected.

how much hugely depends upon what type of wood burning furnace you're planning on installing or have installed.

what a hyper effecient JUCA would burn VS a lessor stove makes a huge differance.

it's all about BTU output for amount of wood consumed and how heat is delivered thoughout home. does wood stove have option to duct output via establish central duct work?

how many CFM does the stove blower put out? got to deliver those BTU's somehow to rest of house...

The equation is simple all it does is replace your current fuel with wood. So all you have to do is figure out how much fuel (LP gas,fuel oil, natural gas, electric) or what ever you burn and convert it to Btu. Take that number and divide by the Btu in the cord of wood you want to burn (oak maple pine ash) and this is the number of cords you will need. The equation also takes into effect the efficiency of your burner. The equation uses 20 million Btu per cord as its default. Which IMO is conservative. I don't think this is a perfect science but I bet it is close. I have a buck insert that is centrally located in my 900 sq foot cape code. I don't heat the second floor in the winter.

Back