How to clean "inside" muffler ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roncoinc

Official Stihl Disser
Reaction score
Pulled the muffler to look and the piston is perfect ! :)
however the inside of the muffler is like none i have seen,LOT's of buildup,enough i dont want to put it back on !
thot of a propane torch and burn it out ? be to hot inside the woodstove,to smelly in kitchen stove.. searched a few hunderd post's and found no sugestions..
anybody ?????
tnx....

Good question Ron. You got me. Saw it apart and clean it out weld it back together...:clap: Just messing around. I have cleaned carbon from engines in cars and trucks by running some transmission fluid in the fuel...I doubt a two stroke notice any difference.

Could try some carb cleaner or ether. Both work great when I summerize my ice auger, course my auger doesn't run near as hot or long as my saw. Worth a try though.

Andy

Well theres some suggestions anyways,tnx..
this stuff is scrape with a screwdriver thick !!
gonna try the torch and see what happens :)

Is it the dry gritty carbon or the gummy black stuff?

If it is the gummy, or even glazed looking, black stuff a torch should work fine. The gritty stuff doesn't seem to burn out as well.

Mr. HE:cool:

ron,
if a propane torch isn't too hot, maybe the woodstove will work,, the muffler is steel, right? i would try soaking it in the parts cleaner, or or a bucket of solvent, even kerosene,,, maybe it will soften up and blow out with air,,, if not, cut it open, you know your gonna mod it anyhow!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck one of the muffler bolts in your drill and fill it with steel shot?

I don't know if it will work, but I've thought about trying it myself. Probably would not want to run the drill too fast.

Is it the dry gritty carbon or the gummy black stuff?

If it is the gummy, or even glazed looking, black stuff a torch should work fine. The gritty stuff doesn't seem to burn out as well.

BINGO !!!!!!
we have a WNNER here folks !!!
Mt.He it was the gummy black stuff..
washed off what i could with gas and took it to the sandpile and lit er off :)
had to keep the torch to er for awhile and you should have seen the smoke !! should have made a video :(
that black goey stuff burned pretty good,makes me wonder what would happen in the woods if there was a spark coming outta there with dry stuff around ??
filled it with sand and shook it all around awhile,longer than i wanted because a rock got stuck inside there and had a heck of a time shaking it out ! LOL !!

The saw is a stihl 017 and i dont see no carb adjusters at all so i think no muff mod on this one :( nope,,looked,fixed jets.. will have to look and see what i have for carbs kicking around of same size that will fit..
maybe one off a strimmer ?? :)
if i'm not impressed will probly end up going away anyway.. it's only a stihl :)
tnx for the input guys...

I've got an 017 on my bench right now Ron...someone had put a wt-215 on it. Fit perfect...fully adjustable.

Every 017 I've ever seen had a gummed up muffler. I think THALL said something about that once and cleaning the spark screens on them often.

I once got one for $20.00 at a garage sale that "has no compression, sold as is" I took it home, cleaned the spark screen, fired it up and it ran good. Tested compression at 145psi and put it up on CL for $125.00 OBO. Sold it that afternoon to a guy for a camping saw for $100.00. We were both real happy with the deal.

Old dirt bike trick from the 70s when oil was cheap. Throw the torch to it, heat it up red hot. Wire brush & paint when cool.

Well theres some suggestions anyways,tnx..
this stuff is scrape with a screwdriver thick !!
gonna try the torch and see what happens :)

thats how you clean expansion pipes on two stroke dirtbike and quad engines it should work just dont let it get too hot and melt a hole through obviously....

I've had good luck cleaning carbon off of pistons and heads of 4 stroke engines using 30wt high detergent oil. Just soak the carbon until it softens then scrape it off. I'll bet that it will work on your muffler.

Tnx man,problem is,,cant get inside the muffler to scrape :(
good news is the propane torch worked fine after shaking it around full of sand :).

I would think that most engine rebuilding shops would hot tank it for free or a nominal fee, since it wouldnt take up any room in the tank

Fill it with caustic soda over night, only shiny metal left. Or fill it with caustic soda over the week, hopefully some shiny metal left.

Sorry for the late reply :)

Back