How to diagnose tree problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atb123

Reaction score
Hi - First-time poster here! I live in the city and there's a tree growing into a sidewalk cutout that I have a question about. I have only lived here for about 3 months. I noticed when I purchased the property - in August - that the tree didn't really have any leaves on it. There's another tree growing directly next to the one in question, and it appears to be in fine shape. So I thought the leaf-less tree was on its way out, then today I noticed some new leaf formations. See the pics. I have no idea what kind of tree this is, or what other signs to look to gauge distress (besides the fact that it's nearly leafless). I've also only been here for 3 months, so I have not seen a full 12-month cycle. Anyone have any idea whether this tree will sprout further in the Spring...and what can I do to give it the best chance for a rebound?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5253.jpeg
    IMG_5253.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5255.jpeg
    IMG_5255.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5256.jpeg
    IMG_5256.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
That is an Ailanthus. If you are lucky, it has Ailanthus verticillium wilt. They are trashy trees. If you just cut it down, thousands of sprouts will come up from the root system. Is in the tree lawn (between street and sidewalk)? If so, that probably belongs to the city...

It is growing in the sidewalk between my house and the street. You're right that it does belong to the city's "Street Trees" program. I believe they will come out and remove a dead tree, but they won't remove anything alive. The owner can also take care of it at their own expense. I agree it's a trashy tree, and I don't really care for its looks, but what I don't like is seeing the tree leafless next to a tree that does have leaves. So my main question...is there a chance that the areas of the tree that did not leaf in the spring (~90-95% of the total tree) will come back...or can I only really count on the 5-10% of the tree that does appear alive? Thanks

Thanks. The city is sending someone out to survey it, and if they determine it's beyond survival, they will put it on the list to be taken down.

Latest posts

Back