How to fix latest screw up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still same situation. I head out to cut a 'yard' tree as a favor for a good friend this morning. Would have been about 1 1/2 hour jog. Then planed to continue on and whittle the butt off the stump. Not to be. Threw saws (3) and other stuff in car (no need for the gas hog truck). Arrived and knew the plans just went down the tube. I forgot the ditty box with the gas/oil. Ran all 3 saws bone dry and didn't quite finish the friends tree. Maybe tomorrow to fool around with this leaner.

Harry K

I would think if you could safely get the rest of the hinge cut, tie a rope up near the supporting branches and pull it over to the left(if you are standing at the stump looking up the tree trunk) it may roll over. Just a thought.

I would think if you could safely get the rest of the hinge cut, tie a rope up near the supporting branches and pull it over to the left(if you are standing at the stump looking up the tree trunk) it may roll over. Just a thought.

That's my plan for tomorrow if weather permits. It will take rigging up with snatch blocks to get some mechanical advantage. I have 4 or 5 snatch blocks and around 300 ft of cable in various lengths so it shouldn't be a problem.

Harry K

It's down. Worked like a dream. whittled butt free of stump and for a change didn't trap a bar while doing it. Rigged a 4 to 1 ma tackle, easy pull and it came right down. Mistake there was to forget how fast cable disappears from the first stage and manage not only to 2-block the tackle but pulled one hook halfway into one of my homemade snatch blocks. I'll hae to bench that to free it up.

down1_zpsfax1g15f.jpg

Some brushing out and ran into one small verticle branch that let me know it was under compression when I tried to cut it. Rigged to pull that. Another easy pull and it ws the rest of the way.

down2_zps2yax0ffb.jpg

3 1/2 hours all told (1 hour of that was then stringing cable/snatch blocks and picking it up after) and I left it like this:

end_zpsgoygdjdu.jpg

Still propped up by a hefty stubb but it is now down where it can be worked safely.

Scouted out the next victim. Big one leaning over the field. I'll have to dress the 361 with its 28" bar and skip tooth to get it down. Other than the size it should be a simple job.

Harry K

Harry you are amazing

I've done some stupid stuff wooding but I was careful on his one and didn't need to take any chances. I was rather surprised at how easily it did come down with applying some towing force in the right spots. It still amazes me at how much a 2x pu can move with a 2 to 1 or 4 to 1 mechanical advance lash up. I actually moved the top of he tree 4' sideways with that prop limp plowing a furrow before it broke.

Finished cutting it up this morning. I'll be giving it to a buddy again. Only the bottom of the log plus a few limb cuts were good. Even the bottom rounds will need 'high grading', i.e., salvaging the good 3/4 of the round.

Scouted for the next victim. Them thangs am huge! Thinking about getting a bigger saw 441with 32" bar. The 361/28" looks like a toothpick against those trees.

Harry K

I'd seriously consider buying a bigger gun! :D

Did. MS441CM full wrap, dual dogs $1,000. Baptized it yesterday and today. Starts like a dream and cuts faster than I care. I did the '4 cuts' in small stuff to acclimatixe the saw per the manual. Cut so fast I was pooped at the end of the 4 cuts just from moving that beast from one cut to the next :) Sure is a dream with a 32" bar in big stuff.

Harry K

Back