how to get a job as a logger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of trucks, my 97 2500 Ram is getting old and starting to cost money, so I am at the stage of just keeping up with the repairs or buying a Toyota Tundra, which may or may not outlast the domestic trucks. My Dodge ram has 200,000 miles now. Any suggestions? The 4x4 drive train is already letting me down, and I am starting to hate the useless thing. Maybe I am just looking for an excuse to buy new again.
Any suggestions about the Toyota?
John

Toyota and Honda swap being#1 and #2 in quality for vehicles sold in NA every year. They dont make a real full size work truck though.
John, depending on what wrong with yours I would just ride it out. your not getting much for a tradein with 200,000 miles on so you might as welll drive it till it pukes.

Check out the Nissan Titan as well. I heard rumors of a bigger Toyota in the future, the TRX or somethin like that. Not sure...

Unfortunately no Japanese manufacturer makes really big HD trucks. I don't think they understand the US market completely.

I don't think it is that they don't understand, it is a strategy. Remember when Nissan was Datsan? That was all planned, even before they got here. One thing you can say about those two, they don’t seem to release thing to market that don’t work very often, unlike their American counterparts, and if they do discover a problem or flaw, they don’t keep producing them. When they do move to the HD truck market, it will be with quality products. The problem will be that they will probably want $50K for it.

They do understand the US market but the trucks they sell they have to sell worldwide, its not worth making one truck just for one market. Dammit you have some big 4wd's in the US, they just dont make the grade for fuel economy. Dont get me wrong, the US makes great trucks but theyre just not enough bang for your buck in other countries.

Sniper, ditch the truck, get something more economical and realistic to pay for, and get out doing what you want to do. I was a breaker (cable hauler, running by hand, cables around the skid site) which is dangerous, back breaking but later it would have lead to opportunity to to get into delimbing and eventually felling (once I collected the right tickets for it). do it on your days off, get your foot in the door.

"You dont own your crap, sometimes your crap starts owning you"

Originally posted by Bill G

So does it take a $30,000 truck to provide transportation ? Wouldn't a cheaper vehicle will get you to and from work. If a person works a job that they do not like so they can drive an expensive vehicle then the vehicle is more important to them then the a enjoyable career. I would prefer to drive a older truck to a job I enjoyed then a new F-450 to a job I did not.

Bill, I agree with you completely here. Also, do you really want to be troming through the woods in a shiny $30k truck? I know this thread is a little old, but I think if you are going to be using a truck for work in the woods, you could get by with a truck that costs much less than $30k. JMO, ultimately that decision belongs to the one writing the check.

My post was related to transportation and not a piece of equipment used for work. I am sorry but there is no justification for driving a $30,000 truck to work. Now if that vehicle is a essential part of your profession (i.e. a mechanic that does on-site service) then it can be justified. If it is what you drive to get to work then it cannot.

Bill

And my post wasn't related to your post at all, Bill. Rather it was our new friend rb who took the "commuter truck" and drove it in to the woods on this thread. I was merely pointing out that work trucks can be every bit as expensive and then some and they tromp around the woods all the time.

As for "justification" of commuting in a $30k truck, I guess different strokes for different folks. Just because your checkbook won't justify it doesn't mean someone elses can.

I'll be sure to clear all future purchases with you.:D

I guess I should clarify my earlier statement. In my post I said this:

"I think if you are going to be using a truck for work in the woods, you could get by with a truck that costs much less than $30k."

I meant I didn't think a person needed a $30k truck to get to the job site. Most loggers I know from the PNW drove beat up old trucks (some even drove cars or rode with co-workers). I just feel that if a vehicle that you use for transportation, if it does not make you money, but keeps you from pursuing a career change, I personally would think of trimming my transportation budget. It's sort of like when I made a career switch five years ago. I paid off all debts (car payment included) and reduced expenses as much as possible because I knew that at first I would not make much as an entry level worker. The less debt you have, the more flexible you can be with your career choices. Again, this is just my humble opinion. Pardon me if I stepped on any logger's toes (although if your wearing PPE you should be ok).

Mike,

I agree that some people's checkbook can support the cost. I am happy for them. They are the people that keep workers working and. I wish mine could.

As for clearing purchases with me, please do. :D That way I can steer you to the best deal. Of course I would have to charge a 10% fee. That way maybe my checkbook can support a new truck.

Bill

Sorry, I dont need a new truck to get to work, I'll go with a $1800 1985 s10 with a utility bed, 4speed tranny and an I4 engine. Then you have a truck but you also have economy as well. If you maintain your small truck right you will get about 300K+ miles out of it before it starts causing you problems.

Sniper, what part of PA are you in? I got started the same way as most: Dad taught me.

Mike

"I'll go with a $1800 1985 s10 with a utility bed, 4speed tranny and an I4 engine."

When you crap out on the side of the road, do you want me to wave and smile or stop and give ya a ride to work?:p

Latest posts

Back