How to get branch stuck 12-24" in ground out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douggg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've struggled with this in the past and never tried to find a solution. I even tried to google it and couldn't locate any posts for help with my search terms

Anyway, when the tree falls, some branches go deep into the ground. If they happen to be 10 inch or less in the ground, maybe i can get them without too much back pain, by moving the branch in a circle and pulling up, like sinking an umbrella into the sand on the beach.

But what is the appropriate technique to remove? I now have 3 branches sticking up in the middle of my lawn after finishing cutting and cleaning up a 35" diameter pine down in a storm. Thanks

I normally just use a stump grinder. If this is at your house and you have a floor jack and can get a chain or small cable to grab on the branch wrap it on the jack and pump away. 12-16 inch block, chain or cable to attach, and an 8 foot pole also would work well as previously mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I just hook em to the truck with a chain and yank em out. Careful here though don't use a rope as it stores energy and can send it flying considerable distance.Don't ask me how I know :)
Ha I had 150 feet of 3/4" bull rope tied between our grapple and my crane trying to pull the crane out of the mud (off road county job across a pretty wet flood plain haha) well the rope broke and the end from the crane attachment let go and ended up a hundred feet in front of the grapple. That was slightly scary for the bystanders

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Engine hoist/cherry picker works very good too. Almost everyone knows someone with one. But a simple pipe and a chain or strap will work. Hell 2 saw horses a 4x4 or chunk of log and a conealong may even work

Back