How to improve seal of crappy paper gaskets?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have put some thought into this and have asked myself a question. Why does this man have problems with a leaking carburetor gasket and I have assembled hundreds and never had one leak?
I do something that has become so automatic that I don't even have to think about it. When I tighten down a cover I always do it evenly. Make sure the screws are all started down a little at a time and never stress one side or corner. It is a little like putting on a head gasket and tightening in a sequence and series of small increments.
If you think this does not matter try a small experiment. Install the cover with only one corner screw and tighten it down. Now look at the opposite corner. It will be up slightly and, if you put in the other screws, it may WARP the cover.
Just an idea, but if you get into this habit, it will serve you for a lifetime. If this does not apply to you then ignore it.
I have put some thought into this and have asked myself a question. Why does this man have problems with a leaking carburetor gasket and I have assembled hundreds and never had one leak?
I do something that has become so automatic that I don't even have to think about it. When I tighten down a cover I always do it evenly. Make sure the screws are all started down a little at a time and never stress one side or corner. It is a little like putting on a head gasket and tightening in a sequence and series of small increments.
If you think this does not matter try a small experiment. Install the cover with only one corner screw and tighten it down. Now look at the opposite corner. It will be up slightly and, if you put in the other screws, it may WARP the cover.
Just an idea, but if you get into this habit, it will serve you for a lifetime. If this does not apply to you then ignore it.
good advice....

Back