How to keep the stacked wood straight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spidey, I forgot to mention - those stacks look even better with the white stuff around em. Just gives the pictures a seasonal look. They would make a nice postcard.

Dusty, Spidey's actually in the "hills" of Iowa. Get on I-35 a little south of Minneapolis, and you can dang near see Kansas City! I don't complain about my hills here, if they weren't so steep, they would have been logged off and plowed under. All my woods has more up and down than back and forth, and most of my fields aren't a whole lot better :D :msp_biggrin:

Sounds like home to me Steve!! I remember back when my FIL was farming he would say "If you can stand up on it then by gosh its tillable", LOL.

I don't get all the fuss about stacking wood unless you are really pressed for space. Seems like a waste of time and more to mow/weed wack around.

I don't get all the fuss about stacking wood unless you are really pressed for space. Seems like a waste of time and more to mow/weed wack around.

I like the pile idea, but the wood in the center will not be dry in a year... Period.. I wish I could just pile it though.. Cause you're right... I could save a lot of time...

redheadwoodshed, What Courier? Where? Or were you not asking me?

Steve NW WI, That three deep stack is from standing dead… pretty much pre-seasoned.

Now, about the roof on the old hog barn… That old building has more problems than just the roof and it needs to come down. The floor heaved during a really wet spring a few years back, foundation fell away on the back side and the wall caved in. I’m not sure how it continues to stand… I keep expecting to see it collapsed every morning I look out the window. I’ll pull it down one of these days and clean off the feed lots on either side… that’ll give me a huge concrete area to stack my firewood on.

Oops, I was refering to the little blue Courier in the O.P.'s picture.

No comment on the stacks, I say do whatever works for you.I just wanted to comment on the Courier, those things used to be everywhere.Lots of the loggers drove them to the set.Does it still run or is that a cutoff trailer?

Hello redheadwoodshed,
My 1976 Ford courier runs great 1.8L house of power...
If you look further back in the post I added photos and some comments.
Here is a photo of lil-blue for you so you do not have to search. Thanks...
FordCourier003.jpg

I like the pile idea, but the wood in the center will not be dry in a year... Period.. I wish I could just pile it though.. Cause you're right... I could save a lot of time...

Wood in the center is just as dry. When its thrown in a pile, its all loose with lots of air space. That wood is stored out in a field where there is just about always air moving. Those piles are about 8 feet tall, maybe 15 feet wide at the base, and will be 100 feet long when I am done. Been doing it that way for 16 years and have never had wet/green/moldy wood anywhere in the pile.

...never had wet/green/moldy wood anywhere in the pile.

I HAVE! Stuff in the center/bottom just turned into something resembling damp oatmeal in less than two years.
Maybe it has something to do with where a fella' lives, or the type of wood... but after loosing about half the firewood leaving it in a pile, I started stacking many years ago.

I HAVE! Stuff in the center/bottom just turned into something resembling damp oatmeal in less than two years.
Maybe it has something to do with where a fella' lives, or the type of wood... but after loosing about half the firewood leaving it in a pile, I started stacking many years ago.

Yep... Elm and Hackberry don't fare well at all in a pile... Hedge just turns gold... I've thought about building a 40x80 pole barn w/open sides for loose piling...

Those two factors along with exposure to sunlight/wind have to be the biggest factors. I would think here in the east, being in a moist climate and recieving almost 40 inches of rain in the average year would harm it but it doesn't. I cut mostly oak (red/white/chestnut), maple, and cherry. I have cut some gum -although I try to avoid it because its a pain in the ass to split - and gum will go soft/punky pretty quick on the bottom. This must be true with other species as well.

Wood in the center is just as dry. When its thrown in a pile, its all loose with lots of air space. That wood is stored out in a field where there is just about always air moving. Those piles are about 8 feet tall, maybe 15 feet wide at the base, and will be 100 feet long when I am done. Been doing it that way for 16 years and have never had wet/green/moldy wood anywhere in the pile.

Same here. Ricked tight to rick up to 20 ricks deep and even my Willow in the old days was dry as a bone when I used it. But then we don't have but about 5 months of "wet" in this semi arid area.

Harry K

Hello Group,
I am having a hard time keeping my rounds a consistant length.
Almost all my rounds are under 12" and the small stuff 4" or less seem to always be shorter that the rest.
What is the best way to keep consistant lengths?
From an OBVIOUS NU-B;)

Hello Group,
I am having a hard time keeping my rounds a consistant length.
Almost all my rounds are under 12" and the small stuff 4" or less seem to always be shorter that the rest.
What is the best way to keep consistant lengths?
From an OBVIOUS NU-B;)

Get rid of that 084... It's too big and messes with your sense of proportion... PM me for a disposal address...:msp_thumbup:

Heck....????
I've never even put the bar on my 084....?????
I use a 017 W/ 14 inch bar for everything....:help:

Latest posts

Back