How to know if coil is bad?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdnomad

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 009L that is not running well. I do have spark but the spark doesn't look real strong. I do have a new spark plug installed. If the coil is bad, would I have any spark?

Had the same problem on 009 I worked on. Had spark wouldn't run. New plug. Rebiult carb. Tried another carb. Rebuilt it. Another reed valve no luck. Put a new coil on it prob. solved.
If I remember correctly air gap is .008 it will run @ .012 which is what I set it. Did not know @ the time it set closer. Might be the hard start problem. Mine is hard start. May go back and set closer to see if that corrects it.
Shep

One way I test my coils is to place a screw driver in the plug boot and have my wife to hold it while I crank the saw over. You will know quick if it's bad or not. This test usually only works one time if the coil is good, but you may get to do a few test at least before you get a good one.:msp_smile:

One way I test my coils is to place a screw driver in the plug boot and have my wife to hold it while I crank the saw over. You will know quick if it's bad or not. This test usually only works one time if the coil is good, but you may get to do a few test at least before you get a good one.:msp_smile:

Who do you get to remove the screwdriver out of your rearend after the test???? CJ

Who do you get to remove the screwdriver out of your rearend after the test???? CJ

Rear end ? My you have a loving wife...mine would be straight in the neck. then she would have my other tools lined up near by to make it look like i was working on a saw and fell over...probably spill some beer and make it look like i was drunk ect. yup she watches way too much Investigative Discovery channel.

My dad used to pay me 10 cents to hold the screwdriver.

2 affordable ways to test a coil

1).Get an adjustable spark tester. It should
Clear 6mm and be bright blue or white. If it’s yellow or orange and doesn’t clear that gap, it could be the coil.

2).check the resistance of the primary and secondary windings in the coil. I’d guess they are out of spec. I have a video on testing the coil with a multimeter if you’d like me to send it?

Brave man.

Rear end ? My you have a loving wife...mine would be straight in the neck. then she would have my other tools lined up near by to make it look like i was working on a saw and fell over...probably spill some beer and make it look like i was drunk ect. yup she watches way too much Investigative Discovery channel.
Must be a Sicilian!

I recently ran into a Husky 50 that had what looked like a good spark. It would start sometimes and sometimes not. Even if it started, it would die out after running awhile. I replaced the coil and that solved the problem. Nothing lasts forever, and this saw might be about the same age as your Stihl 009L (circa 1989).

I must admit that if I find what I think is a good spark, I temporarily figure that I have a fuel or compression issue. If the compression tests good, then I look to the fuel system next. In thread #15 above, I changed out the carb but surprisingly there was no improvement. At last resort, I replaced the coil because there was very little remaining that could have caused this problem. Bingo. The coil was the culprit.

Good one

IF THE WIFE JUMPS YOU KNOW ITS GOOD!

Latest posts

Back