how to louver a muffler.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinceGU05

PSA vitim.
Reaction score
A few people have asked for a bit of a tutorial on louvers. So i have the perfect candidate. This Solo 667SP.

So not every saw is a perfect candidate, so it is a selective thing. Not a great deal was going to help opening up the standard deflector and I might of been able to squeeze a deflector of the right hand side but it may have melted the black plastic cover.

So, once the muffler is off we need to mark out some lines to get a feel of the end product. The height of these ones was 30mm and the pitch was 9mm. between 7 to 9mm is about the right width.

can see that the first set of lines were on an angle. The muffler isn't square, so used the other edge of the muffler to square them up.

using the dremel and slitting wheel the vertical cuts are made.

its very important for the end look that you hold the dremel parallel and square to the lines your cutting.

The tools i use are a narrow and wide flat nose pliers; without the serrations as this will mark the louvers and the paint wont hide it. And a thin ruler or something very similar. ( thin small screwdriver)
Either one of these are used to start to lift the first louver so you can get the pliers in.

A bit of care is needed on lifting the first one as its very easy to push down the steel on the left of the first louver to pry it up. once you get the ball rolling its fairly easy.

here is a bit of a clip. not easy holding the phone and bending at the same time but you get the idea.

Naturally the end baffle plate was drilled out and dremeled clean with a carbide burr.

Yup; she gunna breathe ok.

Now to pretty it up; the toolmaker in me grabs a file and i file the louvers. Draw filing style is using the file side ways as apposed to the traditional backwards and forwards. so in this photo; filing was left to right.

It just sharpens up the ends nicely. this is an optional step.

To finish it off; its off to the glass bead blaster. Then hit it with the high temp paint.

Edit: As a side note having a screen isn't really an option. So that also needs to be considered before starting the project.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Your lay out, attention to detail and the superb craftsmanship certainly is a credit to your "tool maker" skills.
Had a person not seen this video one might assume that this came from the manufacturer as such. Excellent!

Naturally the end baffle plate was drilled out and dremeled clean with a carbide burr.

Yup; she gunna breathe ok.

Now to pretty it up; the toolmaker in me grabs a file and i file the louvers. Draw filing style is using the file side ways as apposed to the traditional backwards and forwards. so in this photo; filing was left to right.

It just sharpens up the ends nicely. this is an optional step.

To finish it off; its off to the glass bead blaster. Then hit it with the high temp paint.

Edit: As a side note having a screen isn't really an option. So that also needs to be considered before starting the project.
Great job on the muffler Vince looks like a factory item:rock2:

As a side note having a screen isn't really an option. So that also needs to be considered before starting the project.

I kinda disagree with the edited comment. If you cut a square plate to make your louvers, you can bolt it down over an opening with a screen in between. It will look just as nice too.

I kinda disagree with the edited comment. If you cut a square plate to make your louvers, you can bolt it down over an opening with a screen in between. It will look just as nice too.
Like this I did on my 084 that was missing the front half of the muffler.
I used the louvres off a 090.

Not the prettiest thing getting around but it works.

Nice work Vince! Good to see them Solo 667's have not been forgotten about. l have louvers on some saws and nowdays shoot for a the best flow but lowest noise. How does the 667 run?
runs crisp.. but i dont have a bar and chain for it.. thats next on the to do list.
it has a tight squish from factory, so widened and tidied up the ports. reconnected the fuel filter that fell off ( it has 2 in the tank) cleaned the carb and shes a nice little red rocket.. saved from the bin at the dealers!

Latest posts

Back