How To Remove Aluminum Transfer Without Acid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I have missed this but what should be done to clean any grit off cylinder afterwards?
Hoping to have an 066 running soon! Meteor piston should be here this week.

Maybe I have missed this but what should be done to clean any grit off cylinder afterwards?
Back when I was working with 2-stroke motorcycle jugs we would just use dish soap to cut the honing oil and water. This was followed by a thorough drying and a coat of light oil or WD-40 to prevent any rust before final assembly.

Just read this entire thread. Thank you MasterMind for putting this info and videos out there.

Contemplating the Harbor Freight grinder. They sent me a 20% off one item. Will I regret it?

Attachments

• Harbor Freight.JPG
    Harbor Freight.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 29
What is the best way to get the Roloc mandrel down to the correct size? I am thinking just put it in the drill, put a belt sander in a vice to hold it and then just run the mandrel against the moving belt sander? If it was mentioned how to get that rubber mandrel down to size I missed it. Also, do you start with 2" or a 3" to make the walls of the roloc wider once at the correct diameter?

Just use different diameter Roloc mandrels and trim accordingly for 'general' diameters to handle a range of abrasive material thicknesses. It's more of a 'stuffer' for holding/rotating your abrasive of choice than anything else....nothing real precision. A rag or piece of inner-tube tied in a knot on the end of an eye bolt will effectively do the same thing for ya..

I hear ya, it just makes the scotch brite wedge up against the wall. Since I am starting from zero I will just grab a Roloc type mandrel, I was just curious how they are getting them down to size and still be nice and round. That's how I came up with the rotating roloc against moving belt sander idea.

I figured I would lose a digit doing that! Too clumsy!

Brian

Hey Brian!

I have fixed 20+ cylinders with this method so far, and I think I have only had 2 or 3 that were so far gone or gouged that they wouldn't salvage.

I am going to send Randy (Mastermind) a saw or a piston and cylinder to port just to show him some kind of gratitude, as he is one of the best on here about showing awesome techniques like this and sharing how porting works and what he does on different saws.

Most port artists hold their secrets very close to the chest but Mastermind openly shares his info, and yet he stays constantly booked on port work; that says a lot to me. He is a stand-up gent and so are several others on this forum.

Mastermind way to do it is absolutly brilliant, I've had several jugs who look awful but ending up to ben working jugs again thanks to him, last was a badly scored 254.

Have not seen Mastermind post for awhile, missing his post and posting style.

I've been nothing but impressed with Randy's attitude to helping others, the way he shares information on porting and building, his build threads that bring people together, the sharing of knowledge and just having a good laugh doing it. He always takes the time to answer my stupid questions despite being a very busy man.

When I came to this site I knew very little beyond using saws but reading his and others threads taught me so much, opened my eyes to a whole new world of chainsaw mods. After reading about ported saws and the highs/lows of the whos and hows, it was an easy decision. Yeah I could have gone with any other top quality builder, Dozer Dan, Terry Landrum, Stumpy or Tree Monkey who all had excellent reviews but ( and this is in no way knocking any other builder) Randy's attitude and helpfulness just sealed it.

Randy and his buddies really are a credit to the modding world, a very humble man and my "go to" builder.

The amount of good he has brought this site is beyond count and a kind, giving, caring, community minded chicken legged, jean shorted man like that, who doesn't act like a two faced little ***** cry baby when criticised but will tell you to get stuffed and yet still help, is worth bloody fighting for.

My .02

Well here is my practice run slash first attempt at the MasterMind method. I think I ruined it. I made 2 mistakes I think. 1 I shouldn't have went in with the course grit around 80, 2 I should have listened better to what I read in this thread and stayed away from the edge of the port, more accuracy on just the transfer and less time.

b59dc50f585e25f17711425401d8d92e.jpg

c74158a4ee6b2fa926b8058ba0dc94e6.jpg

Brian

Latest posts

Back