How To Remove Aluminum Transfer Without Acid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im doing a 365 spcl closed port and there are still 2 specks of aluminum smaller than the periods and commas on this page, they are below the ex port and just below ring travel, I have been rubbing on these quite a while, do these absolutely have to go? Somebody, please my fingers are getting sore.

John

I cleaned up an old McCulloch cylinder, had a couple of specs. Turned out good. I'd just make sure any large amounts of aluminum transfer is removed.

So got a question. Couple years ago I bought a gallon of acid for cleaning cylinders. Now that I use the non-acid method I'm stuck with a lot of acid. I suppose I could clean my 50 sf of sidewalk but what then? Any other uses? Really tired of stepping over this stuff. Any suggestions?

So got a question. Couple years ago I bought a gallon of acid for cleaning cylinders. . . Any other uses?
Muriatic acid? Sometimes used to etch concrete before painting or to clean swimming pools. Can be used to remove rust or rust stains. As always, use it carefully!

You might be able to give it away on CraigsList or FreeCycle, or drop it of at a county hazardous waste site.

Philbert

So got a question. Couple years ago I bought a gallon of acid for cleaning cylinders. Now that I use the non-acid method I'm stuck with a lot of acid. I suppose I could clean my 50 sf of sidewalk but what then? Any other uses? Really tired of stepping over this stuff. Any suggestions?
Just dump it out in the driveway or yard somewhere. Not like it's nuclear waste.

Brian

I just read through this entire thread and am very impressed with the results I have seen. I am going to have to try this on my 029 Super cylinder that I pulled when I did the rebuild to a 039/390 p&c. I will be able to clean up the piston and put new rings on it too.

Just dump it out in the driveway or yard somewhere. Not like it's nuclear waste.

On the acid dump... Do the right thing a nd spend 99c at the dollar store for a box of baking soda to nutrilize it in a bucket for five minutes then I'd wash with dish soap and water... It will burn a kid or wildlife that wonder threw it unsuspecting .... I mean there's 15 gallons in a pool cleaning that gets nutrilized then pumped out... 7 on ph is just good practice when returning it to nature... We have an obligation to keep the Rock looking good! Right guys?

Brian

Hey guys ( Stihl Guys ). I need help! I got two 028's off eBay that were dead ducks. After pulling the jugs I could see the Pistons were toast on the exhaust side... I'm gonna assume carbon. These Pistons leave no room for any expansion of the exhaust port that I can see and I'm thinking about swapping in a solid plug to have some port room as these are the most restrictive looking jugs I've run across. Anyway that's another topic... On the fuel lines/ intake boot especially and pulse line is there another model that will work on the 028... Will a 029 or 034 intake fit up? These are both the 44mm so basically a husky 350 in rough compare so it will be kinda cool to see how they run. Dropped base gasket and muffler port to help it breath a little bit? I was originally gonna swap in the 46 kit I picked up as daily deal at like $30 bucks but I noticed as I was just spinning the crank with the pull cord that the bottom of the piston skirt is a quit tight clearance...so I'm gonna just run them with the 44's. I'm gonna do one very lightly...more polished. The other might get the solid 44mm husky plug and lots of the available/extra material removed! Will any other intake boot fit these??? Fuel lines off 029 or 034. I might have the boot and with eight in them now and buying new plug kits for 40-50 bucks I don't want to get to carried away... Tuning up a hundred dollar saw

Here is the 268 cylinder after being cleaned up. I am not going further, there is a tiny spot just above port on the left but I can't feel anything so I think it will run like this.

IS:
4e468a01d7688f2a08411cfb2c3cc27c.jpg

WAS:
6b34e73a546cbdfab7daeb5f117457f6.jpg

Brian

Brian
@@@ what did you soak it in to decarbonize and clean prior to starting to work on it? #2... What was your final polish material or grit to make that shine like that??? Will you now take like a 500 wet/dry with light oil and try to hand (cross hatch) this jug so the rings can seat themselves?

This is the stuff........

That's awesome! And it has some tooth for the ring to seat... It's not polished too smooth!!! I take it you can reach into the jug threw intake and exahalst to clean them up like this too. I can't buy the 90 degree head yet!!!so I'm gonna try different size ball heads in tungsten to do the transfer ports... Ease then with emery paper...!!! Thanks for the vids...man!

Latest posts

Back