How To Remove Aluminum Transfer Without Acid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use lacquer thinner, then blow it out with compressed air. (Shield the eyes).
Same for the crankcase. Three or four dump outs on a papertowel first, then blow it out.
Just don't forget to squirt some 2 stroke oil on the bearings before going back together, or the lower rod bearing might go up in a puff of white hot smoke in three seconds.

What did you clean/flush the grit out with
I have successfully used brake cleaner to loosen oil impregnated residue followed by Dawn dish soap and water or just the Dawn. Dry thoroughly and re-oil. This is more important with cast iron bores. Don't know about Nikasil.

Hey guys.
I need some advice on what to do with this cylinder, it's from Jonsered 2045/husqvarna 45.

Never done any work on the cylinder before. Is it looking bad?

I'm planing on buying meteor piston and puting it onto jonsered 2041.

2ezokd0.jpg

vscto7.jpg

Looks like something got into the cylinder and hammered the roof of the port. Missing any bearings or carriers? Whatever hammered the port likely pushed aluminum material into the bore that will catch a new ring. Can't tell if the plating is gone above the port of if that is just transfer. At the minimum you need to figure out if you can fix that port roof... But first figure out exactly WHAT got into the cylinder in the first place.

Thanks.

I don't really need to figure out what happened to it because i'm puting the cylinder on the different chainsaw.
But yeah the piston had a really deep and wide groove and i also figured that something must have fallen into the cylinder. I'm not sure if a loose carbon would do such damage but that would make sense.

if i touch the cylinder with my finger ,i can't really feel anything :/

Thanks.

I don't really need to figure out what happened to it because i'm puting the cylinder on the different chainsaw.
But yeah the piston had a really deep and wide groove and i also figured that something must have fallen into the cylinder. I'm not sure if a loose carbon would do such damage but that would make sense.

if i touch the cylinder with my finger ,i can't really feel anything :/
Run a scotchbrite pad on and arbor in there with WD40 and then you will see if any aluminum is transferred

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hey guys.i have tried to clean my pm 700 cylinder arter watching mr Randy's,i think,video.Could you tell me if i can use it and put some money to rebuild the saw ?

Attachments

• IMG_20190201_230221.jpg
    IMG_20190201_230221.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20190201_230157.jpg
    IMG_20190201_230157.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Hey guys.i have tried to clean my pm 700 cylinder arter watching mr Randy's,i think,video.Could you tell me if i can use it and put some money to rebuild the saw ?
Its a little tough to tell from the picture, are those lines aluminum transfer or gouges? If it is transferr try Randy's method with emery cloth. Be careful use maybe 200 grit and almost no pressure, it comes off real fast. If they are gouges I think it is toast.

Its a little tough to tell from the picture, are those lines aluminum transfer or gouges? If it is transferr try Randy's method with emery cloth. Be careful use maybe 200 grit and almost no pressure, it comes off real fast. If they are gouges I think it is toast.

I have wet sanded with a dremel and 320 sand paper and after scotch brite with wd-40.That is the result.

Ah, so those are gouges then huh?

Isuppose so.I have no experience.It was a mess before cleaning it Have a look

Attachments

• IMG_20190128_230338.jpg
    IMG_20190128_230338.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20190128_230400.jpg
    IMG_20190128_230400.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
The top picture in post 489 makes me think it is shot because it looks like there is liner removed where the ring wont seat. Just my opinion.

The top picture in post 489 makes me think it is shot because it looks like there is liner removed where the ring wont seat. Just my opinion.

Thanks for your help.Costs too much to replate it and finding another is difficult and would cost even more.I hoped i could fix it with piston and rings replacement

Thanks for your help.Costs too much to replate it and finding another is difficult and would cost even more.I hoped i could fix it with piston and rings replacement
Hopefully some of the other guys will chime in. I know some guys have ran cylinders that look not pristine and they work so maybe there is a little hope.

Just run it Jim above the ports is ok. I think it could run
Hey jethro.how are you?Too much heat there,i hear from the news.i keep asking because it needs a lot of parts (ignition,seals,piston kit,gas-oil gaskets,carb kit,fuel line-filter etc).I do not mind paying for them as long it is going to run ok.

Hey jethro.how are you?Too much heat there,i hear from the news.i keep asking because it needs a lot of parts (ignition,seals,piston kit,gas-oil gaskets,carb kit,fuel line-filter etc).I do not mind paying for them as long it is going to run ok.

I'm good man thanks. Yes very hot here I'm halfway down the south island so not too bad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/McCulloch-...824521?hash=item5ad04ded09:g:C54AAOxyOMdS7XPt
https://www.ebay.com/itm/genuine-Mc...544154&hash=item48be89b3ee:g:qIMAAOSw9g1cO5fV
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mc...321647&hash=item25cfc9817d:g:9KkAAOSwr~lYp5bw
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mcculloch-...023732?hash=item4433a1e3b4:g:96MAAOSwH1pcQXtv
https://www.ebay.com/itm/McCulloch-...400593&hash=item1c2d2618dd:g:VhIAAOSwol5YzU2C

Alot of these guys may have a bunch of this stuff so if you message them and ask it mite save on shipping.

Bob Johnson has cylinder for 180US

I think it may run even that piston could run if the rings are free just throw a new set on it clean up the grooves real good. That cylinder from Bob has a piston and rings too so not a bad buy really.

Latest posts

Back