How to save a saw, Thread repair 101.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimL

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got this wonderful 070 a while back, just now getting time to tinker with her.
Had alot of holes that were stripped out, the rear handle, and the muffler to name a few.

Here we go, First get the apropriate helicoil kit for the job, and a drill tje right size. In this case, a 6mm x 1.00 pitch uses a 1/4" drill.

thread1.jpg

Next step would be to drill the hole out.

thread2.jpg

Now you can run the tap in, I use some stuff called Tap Lube, its a paste type stuff. Works good.

thread3.jpg

After tapping blow the hole out good, and set the depth on the helicoil tool, screw it in so that the 1st thread is inside the hole a little.

thread4.jpg

Look ma, threads!

thread5.jpg

Turns out, both of the studs were put in with what looks like JB weld around them, I went to chase the treads on the other stud with die and the stud came loose. I chased the threads on both sides of each stud, put them in with loctite on them.

thread6.jpg

I usally plug up the open port hole with a rag to help keep chips from finding there way into my motors. Sometimes just having the piston up all the way gives them corners to hide in. Just a thought. I can't wait to here how that saw runs!

Later,
Chris

Originally posted by stihlman036
I usally plug up the open port hole with a rag to help keep chips from finding there way into my motors. Sometimes just having the piston up all the way gives them corners to hide in. Just a thought. I can't wait to here how that saw runs!

Later,
Chris

Good idea, didn't really think about it, but the piston was up. I did drop a screw for the top cover down in there accidently :D shook it a lil upside down and it fell back out the plug hole.

How do you not drill? Just tap it, then put the insert in?

Try this sometime with the jug off. Take the piston and put it in the jug with the rigs on. Push the piston up to about TDC. Then use a feller gage to see the clearence between the piston and wall. That is a highway right to the crank for those supper small filings that we make when we play. And YES I learned the hardway.

Chris

I ordered some of them Time Sert things, ill give them a try. I get all my helicoil stuff through work so its cheap.

Originally posted by Fish
Yeah, I steal all of my helicoils from work too!

So these time serts must be synthetic?

LOL!
I buy them by the dozen in a tube for like 4 bux i think, been a while.

Not sure about the time serts, i just bought a 6mm kit for 10 bux.

Thanks Bob!
Do you have to remove more metal material to use them?
On chainsaws, sometime there is not much metal there to
start with.

I hope they arn't like the thread inserts we sell at work, if so you need like a 3/8 hole for a 1/4" bolt.

I've never measured the drill bit that comes with both kits for comparison but the Time-Sert may be a bit larger. I'll look to see if I still have a Heli-Coil bit around for comparison. I've yet to find the Time-Sert bit to cause a problem with to little material to work with. Even if that were to happen, being that the Time-Sert is a solid insert I'd feel good about it if as much as 1/4 was un-supported by a thin area in the material being repaired.

Fish, I couldn't find any old Heli-Coil bits to compare with but did measure 3 different Time-Sert bits. If you have a Heli-Coil bit for one of these sizes you can measure it and see if there is any significant difference.

MM
5X0.8=.199"
10X1.0=.409"

SAE
1/4x20=.265"

Back