How to save a saw, Thread repair 101.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metal

In ten years of repairing threads on motorcycle engines I never ran into a situation that a time-sert wouldn't work. I have seen heli-coils cause all kind of problems, time-serts always reliable.;)

I don't doubt that they are reliable, but in many applications,
{I have no idea about motorcycles}, the amount of metal is a
concern.
A solid insert would be preferable, but if the metal is not there
as in the case of exhaust ports, a helicoil may be the best choice.
I have never investigated the drill sizes for any isolated helicoil,
let alone compare them with other inserts. If the metal was
there, I would opt for the solid insert, for the obvious reasons.

In the early 70's,I used to make small parts for the US government.They were usually small runs that larger shops didn't want to bother with.In every aluminum part that I ever made for them,the specs called for a Heli-Coil and I was not allowed to make a substitution.
Does anyone know if they still manufacture the Keen-sert,they really worked out well.
Later
Dan

heli-coil is still a govenment spec as well as a FAA regulation in airframes of aircraft.

Keenserts are used more extensively in tooling and fixtures used to facilitate the manufacture of aluminium parts. And yes they are readily available.

NevadaWalrus
Drill size for 6x1mm helicoil in alum is 6.25mm=.246in

Another product for thread repair is E-Z LOK,
looks similar to Timeserts,but uses a standard
size tap to install.It is larger in diameter
and relies on a preapplied use-activated epoxy
adhesive. It's too big where there's thin metal,
but it does not require special tools.

Hello All,

The hole located just to the back of the recoil assembly on the crack case that is used to secure the top cylinder shroud of my 084 is stripped and very much over sized. Does anyone have a suggestion on how best to fix it? In the past I have very successfully used Permatex tread restorer but on this one the hole in the case is very much oversized. What to you guys think of using a product like JB-Weld and the drilling and retapping the hole. My concern is the thickness or the casting and that it will just not hold. Thanks for your help

GeorgeW

Latest posts

Back