ArboristSite.com Sponsors

How to ship usps my way to save cash

cookies

cookies

ArboristSite Operative
This may be the wrong section to post this in, sorry if it is but here goes nothing
Use the usps web site for free priority boxes that are not flat rate, they cost the most to ship unless it is super heavy. I like the large boxes and the shoe box for the majority of things I send out, these boxes must be used for priority shipping. The trick is to cut boxes down as small as possible and pack items securely in them, tape the box very well including covering the entire label to protect it. I even cut the boxes up to wrap chainsaw bars in their cardboard chains and all. For this method you need a cheap scale available at the post office for under 30 bucks or sourced elsewhere that can handle 15-25lbs.
Also usps offers free package pickup when your normal mail is delivered! you can set it up on the usps website under the send tab, i love this feature,,.no need to drive to the post office wasting time/gas etc.

Next I use a online webpage Pirateship.com its free to use and pretty simple to get quotes but requires you to set up a account, its free and not hard to do. Even using the flat rate boxes are cheaper to mail using this website, the large flat rate is about 4 bucks less but the real savings is in smaller packages like coils/mufflers/air filter covers etc can be as low as 2.50 to ship...that shoe box is 14"x7"x5" and I can pack 19 lbs in it and its under 14 bucks to mail anywhere in the lower 48. I sent a 20" bar across the country for under 10 bucks 2 weeks ago. Everything shipped priority using that website gets 100.00 free insurance. you will need to measure box dimensions, weight and a zip code to generate a shipping quote, you pay with card through the site and then print out your label.
I hope this helps folks send saws, parts, axe heads etc to each other for the least possible costs and get it shipped without having to deal with driving to drop off.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Helpful info...
During normal times.

I shipped two 25lb. boxes this week via UPS and both were delivered in two days.
I shipped five smaller boxes to the same address a week before and after xmas, and none have been delivered yet and according to the tracking number, are somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

babybart

babybart

ArboristSite Guru
I'm still waiting on a package that only had to travel about 50 miles in state, going on 4 weeks now. Choke parts for my Cub Cadet, hard starting while I wait. :dumb2:

cookies

cookies

ArboristSite Operative
In the last 2 weeks I shipped 4 packages priority and all were delivered within 4 days. Check your invoices I bet they say first class package or parcel select, thats basically second class mail that will sit until there is free space on a truck to ground transport taking forever also media mail is the same way. Postcards are 35c to mail? hell they take 2-3 weeks at the best of times. at a month you need to file a lost package report :/ The usps/amazon contract needs to be shredded, its what has them over burdened at rates so low its loosing money.

cookies

cookies

ArboristSite Operative
My package IS 3 day priority. Gubment agency running at peak performance.
then you should file a lost package claim today if you have not done so yet, and everyone is correct usps is a bureaucracy that has epically failed the last year with so many sitting at home ordering things online instead of braving the outside world. My thread was meant to help people ship things and save money and not need to go to the post office but instead it has turned into a complaint board for lost postcards and carb parts. Ups and Fedex has damaged more items sent to me than usps but usps has sent more packages on 3 week vacations touring the eastern side of the country, pick your poison.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
then you should file a lost package claim today if you have not done so yet, and everyone is correct usps is a bureaucracy that has epically failed the last year with so many sitting at home ordering things online instead of braving the outside world. My thread was meant to help people ship things and save money and not need to go to the post office but instead it has turned into a complaint board for lost postcards and carb parts. Ups and Fedex has damaged more items sent to me than usps but usps has sent more packages on 3 week vacations touring the eastern side of the country, pick your poison.
Welcome to AS Off-topic.

I know all about the USPS - I work there.
I don't know anything about the site you're promoting, pirateshipdotcom, never used it, but the USPS has click & ship on their web site, along with the postcalc.usps.com page where you can calculate your shipping cost as long as you know the weight. I have two Pelouzi scales I bought on eBay for about 5$ each, but they only go up to 5lbs and may not be enough for heavier parts. You can always use a good digital bathroom scale.

As far as the best rate, using the postal supplied shipping boxes, it's best to use the postcalc page.
You can also schedule a package pick-up.
One very large box, shipping priority mail would have cost me $69. I broke it down into three regional rate B boxes and the total cost was $36.

It's embarrassing to admit, but until the post office gets it's $hit together (and it's not just "first class mail, or post cards" it's everything except Express Mail) I'll be using UPS.
I have an Uncle turning 100 on the 21st of this month. I picked up a card and box of candy today, but I sure as hell won't be sending PM since the odds are against him still being there when it's delivered.
I'll most likely send express mail for $26.35 (instead of $8 for PM) just so it will get there on his birthday.
Or, I may just get a price from UPS and go with them.

When service and reliability goes out the window, so does my loyalty.

gary courtney

gary courtney

eeny meeny miny moe
Shipped a saw Dec. 15,2020 . The postal employee offered normal vs. priority. I chose priority and paid for same. Saw arrived Jan.4. Contacted USPS to see if they would refund me the difference since I paid for priority and did not get what I paid for and was told NO REFUND ! Go figure. Will never use them again.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Shipped a saw Dec. 15,2020 . The postal employee offered normal vs. priority. I chose priority and paid for same. Saw arrived Jan.4. Contacted USPS to see if they would refund me the difference since I paid for priority and did not get what I paid for and was told NO REFUND ! Go figure. Will never use them again.
Yup, lots of unhappy customers... including myself.
No refund because the only shipping that's "guaranteed" is Express Mail.

It makes no sense to me.

What I imagine though, is because of the covid, the election, and the holidays, and all the ginormous increase in online buying and shipping, is enormous mountains of packages sitting somewhere... and the first ones shipped just before Christmas are at the bottom of the pile and will be the last ones to move.
But, that's just my imagination, it's not official. :p

PS, if by "normal" you mean Retail Ground, the clerk shouldn't have offered that. That's for over-sized items and hazardous items that can't go by air... and clerks are to never suggest that option.

gary courtney

gary courtney

eeny meeny miny moe
Or, I may just get a price from UPS and go with them.
We have 3 post offices within10 miles of each other in the city Iive in and 2 are like Seinfeld potrays them and the smaller one the employee is so kind and professional. We used to could mail a letter today and you would receive the next day. Now when you mail a letter or bill it leaves my city and travels 85 miles to another city then back to my city for delivery. I switched to bill pay online because I was getting late fees on my utility bills even though I mailed them 18 days before due date.

gary courtney

gary courtney

eeny meeny miny moe
PS, if by "normal" you mean Retail Ground, the clerk shouldn't have offered that. That's for over-sized items and hazardous items that can't go by air... and clerks are to never suggest that option.
She gave me the choice of 6+ days vs. 2-3 days. $43.00 vs.$51.00. I told her if you ordered a 5 piece fish dinner and got 3 pieces would you still want to pay for the 5?

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
She gave me the choice of 6+ days vs. 2-3 days. $43.00 vs.$51.00. I told her if you ordered a 5 piece fish dinner and got 3 pieces would you still want to pay for the 5?
Of course not, but that's what's happening. It's a hot mess, for sure.
The one I sent out on 12/21 has been in Philly since the 30 - next stop would be delivery, probably 15 miles away.
One of the five I sent out this week is out for delivery... the others are in limbo.
That first one MIGHT get there by Easter.:mad:

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
USPS is especially good for 'Flat Rate' shipping of heavier items, and longer distances. It is nice to have a known shipping cost up front. I have received 'Medium' Flat Rate boxes filled (packed) with close to 35 pounds of chainsaw chains (!).

FedEx has their 'One Rate' program, where you basically pay the same amount *using their standardized boxes* by distance/zones: (1-150 miles; 151-600 miles; 601+, Alaska, Hawaii). Envelopes up to 10 pounds, boxes up to 50 pounds. They have an office close to me, so that is convenient.

You have to compare, but often, for things going shorter distances that fit in these boxes, FedEx may be less expensive than USPS. If you ship on a regular basis, and set up a commercial account, there can be additional discounts.

Philbert

Maximum!

Maximum!

ArboristSite Guru
I’m done with the USPS. I’ll spend however much more it takes to not choose them when given a choice. So sick of their incompetence, stems from them hiring psychopaths, incompetence or a combination of the two. Everyone I’ve ever met that have worked for them are either off their rocker or couldn’t figure out 2+2 with a calculator. Been waiting for 2 weeks for a package that’s coming from one state over, when tracked all it says is “delayed”. Screw them.

Ol' Brian

Ol' Brian

ArboristSite Operative
I’m done with the USPS. I’ll spend however much more it takes to not choose them when given a choice. So sick of their incompetence, stems from them hiring psychopaths, incompetence or a combination of the two. Everyone I’ve ever met that have worked for them are either off their rocker or couldn’t figure out 2+2 with a calculator. Been waiting for 2 weeks for a package that’s coming from one state over, when tracked all it says is “delayed”. Screw them.
So I take it that you are upset with the USPS?

:lol:

buzz sawyer

buzz sawyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Western border of mid-southern northern WV
Had two delayed this month - same thing. I was told covid was responsible - of course.