ArboristSite.com Sponsors

How to ship usps my way to save cash

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
I was going to commiserate with some of the other folks and mention how I have been waiting a long time for 2 USPS packages. Then I found out that the jerks / sleaze-balls at the other end never sent them, even though, one had sent a tracking number - made it look like it never left the Post Office, when, in fact, he generated the label but never shipped it. They are both eBay issues now.

Philbert

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
I was going to commiserate with some of the other folks and mention how I have been waiting a long time for 2 USPS packages. Then I found out that the jerks / sleaze-balls at the other end never sent them, even though, one had sent a tracking number - made it look like it never left the Post Office, when, in fact, he generated the label but never shipped it. They are both eBay issues now.

Philbert
Yup. I see a lot of that, unfortunately.
Just yesterday a lady picked up a pkg she said was "shipped" back in October. I ran a track on the pkg and while she may have "ordered" it back in October it wasn't accepted by the USPS until 2/1. She was pretty mad at the seller... we figured it was backordered.
I really hate when Amazon emails customers saying their pkg is ready for p/u @ the post office when they still have possession of it.

Good luck with your pkgs and ebay. They've always helped me out when needed.

bullseye13

bullseye13

ArboristSite Guru
I have been using the USPS for about 15 years for all sorts of packages coming and going. From envelopes to flat rate boxes and everything in between.
For me, the service has been terrific and reliable until November, when things just broke. Much the same Amazon broke last March/April of '20 when the pandemic panic had them backed up a month. Seems USPS is all caught up here as far as i know. there may still be some loaded trailers sitting but nothing like there was.
Every logistics company has a breaking point. I read a lot of seething opinions of the USPS, and I generally agree that they should not be operating on losses. They can raise the rates across the board to bring them back to even or in the black, and i'll still use them.
In my area you never see DHL, Fedex is TERRIBLE here, and UPS is pretty darn good but they are pretty good at smashing stuff up too, however Fedex takes that trophy.

Just my .02

sean donato

sean donato

Addicted to ArboristSite
I use USPS much more than I do UPS or Fed-Ex. For the most part, USPS does a good job. But, like most everything else, it's become very expensive.
Idk I'll be finding out, had an ebay buyer request I send his stuff out usps. Said hes not in a hurry to get it. Was about $3.00 cheaper for usps instead of ups ground. Unfortunately I wasnt able to get it to fit in a flat rate box (physically too big) which ran the shipping cost up more then I would have liked, but at least i could still get tracking, and Insurance on it. Dropping it off after work. Very hesitant, hoping it goes well, havent had great luck in the past with them.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just when I thought that there was some hope for the USPS, it goes ahead and does that. o_O
Everything has tracking, even media mail... and even you. You just don't need a barcode.

So, let me get this straight... you actually prefer the cheap price for slower delivery time with no insurance and don't care if it has a tracking number?

I'll agree, shipping standard post used to be a viable option, compared to Priority Mail, pricewise... but that was back in the day when you had to pay for tracking... and back before carriers had gps on their scanners... in the olden days.

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

100% USDA certified abnormality-free.
Everything has tracking, even media mail... and even you. You just don't need a barcode.

So, let me get this straight... you actually prefer the cheap price for slower delivery time with no insurance and don't care if it has a tracking number?

I'll agree, shipping standard post used to be a viable option, compared to Priority Mail, pricewise... but that was back in the day when you had to pay for tracking... and back before carriers had gps on their scanners... in the olden days.
I'm old enough to recall days of long ago, when you could ship something and you didn't need a tracking number, cause they didn't exist.

And, you didn't need insurance.

kyle1!

kyle1!

ArboristSite Guru
All I really care about is that my package arrives at the destination it is supposed to in one piece. For that I pay a set price and if I need it their faster I pay a higher price. Don't need gimmicks like tracking number, who cares if it got to Memphis at 1:30am and Chicago at 9am, and insurance. Treat my package like it was your own instead of the "who cares" attitude we see today. I used to work at UPS and the speed they wanted you to work no wonder stuff gets lost or broken. You didn't have time to care.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
I watched a new video message from our postmaster today. Sounds like he has big plans... "next-day" delivery on all mail.
I wish him lots-a-luck with that.

They still haven't figured out how to work fewer people, fewer hours, less pay, with 4 times the load.
Maybe they'll hire drones.
:rolleyes: