How to shorten eucalyptus trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmartin1

Reaction score
Hello all, I bought my home 2 years ago, and there is about 45 very mature eucalyptus trees on the property perimeter.

I'd say about 50-60' tall.
I had the trees topped to about 15' or so along my driveway. It's been 1 year and they are absolutely beautiful now, create incredible shade.

I have 8 in my backyard, very close to my 6'wood fence, 5-15' away from my house, and right next to power lines 1'away.

I need these down to like 15' or so too I think. I'm nervous in the winds and storms.

Is topping my only option?

I'm a big tree fan, but most of these trees are dropping large branches and threatening my house,power lines,garage, etc.

1 week after moving in a very heavy limb almost crushed my truck.

Topping them is going to set you up for a myriad of issues in the future. My best advice is to get an ISA certified arborist to come look at them and come up with a plan to mitigate the risks you believe the trees post.

In a couple of years, all the problems are going to come from your topped trees. At the topping cut, the highest branches are going to take all the growth hormone, auxin, and assume the leader position. So instead of 1 leader you will now have several, all weakly attached to the stem because they are branches and not stem. The topping cut is also susceptible to decay, further weakening the branch attachment of you new 'leaders'. The new 'leaders' will grow as fast or faster than the older ones did.

Whoever cut your trees previously is considered a hack on this forum.

The property is so beautiful with all these trees let's buy it. Buy the house, omg all these trees so many trees. I suggest land in the desert. Just get good insurance after they are trimmed properly

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back