Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

How to use the new editor

Discussion in 'Support & Announcements' started by Todo10, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Todo10

Todo10 Administrator Staff Member

We have entirely removed the existing editor and replaced it with a new one based on Redactor:
    1.png
    So what advantages do we have? Well there are various ones:
    • Much lighter code and faster to load. Redactor depends on jQuery and benefits from that.
    • When pasting, most formatting is removed (though some is kept). However, if you're pasting from one XenForo editor to another (or within the same one), all formatting is maintained.
    For the most part, the editor simply shouldn't get in your way so in a sense, you shouldn't actually see much different for the average post.

How about some other bigger changes?

Pasting images
    If you use Chrome or Firefox and have an image in your clipboard, you can simply paste it into the editor. It will automatically be uploaded as an attachment if possible. If the upload is successful, this works exactly like uploading an image and then clicking the "full image" button.

Note that in Chrome, the image data must be in your clipboard (such as from pressing print screen). In Firefox, you can either have image data or you can copy a file that's an image and paste that.

Drag and drop uploading
    Provided your browser supports it, you can now drag files into the editor to upload them:
    2.png
    @User tagging
    While not directly related to the editor change, this is probably the best time to mention it. You can use @@Mike style syntax to tag users in a post:
    3.png
    Tagged users will receive an alert when they're tagged.

You can obviously turn off tag alerts, but as an admin, you can also limit the maximum users that can be tagged per message as a permission. (So you could disable it for registered members and only allow premium members to tag, for example.)

Alternative smilie inserting approach
    The smilie dropdown really didn't work well with a lot of smilies. Clicking the :) button will now do this:
    4.png
    This is now making a call to get the smilies and lays them out with a template. This opens up the possibility for more organization options (though nothing has changed as of this message).

Auto save drafts
    While you are typing a message, every X seconds (currently 60), a draft of your message will be saved. If you reload the page later, your message will be automatically re-shown. Drafts will be automatically pruned over time.
    Each draft is associated with a particular piece of content, such as a thread, forum, or conversations. A draft reply that you start working on in thread 1 will not be shown to thread 2 and so forth.

Display if messages have been posted since you started your message
    Tied into the auto-saving, when you're writing a reply to a thread, we will check to see if any new messages and display a note if there are. You can then display those new posts without reloading the page.

Oh yeah, one more thing on the editor, it's fully responsive:
    5.png

2. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

I really appreciate the ability to go back and edit my old posts and threads: something that we were unable to do in the old system.

This has helped me as I try to go back and reconstruct damaged threads, reattach photographs that were deleted, etc.

Thank you.

Philbert

Todo10 likes this.
  3. Todo10

Thank you Philbert for your effort to re-edit all your posts and understand that hack was an unexpected situation. :)

4. mga

mga wandering

wesstern NY, the land of taxes and strict laws
    i just tried to correct a spelling error on a thread title i started. i tried using the editor, but there was no way to do this that i saw.

did i miss something?

5. Todo10

That option is within the Discussion List View.. over to the right of the thread title you will see a little "edit" link, this pops up box where you can edit the title

mga likes this.
  6. mga

mga wandering

wesstern NY, the land of taxes and strict laws
    hey! thanks!!

Todo10 likes this.
  7. breymeyerfam

breymeyerfam Addicted to ArboristSite

I must be missing something. I cant figure out how to edit my posts. I would like to go back and fix some of my old pics that photobucket screwed us on...

8. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

The ability to edit old posts was 'turned off'. I think we now have 24 hours to make any changes / corrections?

Philbert