How to Video: Crank seal replacment, Pressure testing, Vacuum testing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone looked at one of the Harbor Freight Seal Pullers? At $19.99, this seems to be a little more in my budget. I've been using a old screwdriver with a notch, but I'd like to find something a little bit more consistent.

Looking at that tool, I would guess that the jaws are going to be to thick to get between the seal and the crank. Maybe something more like this one, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95987 at twice the price.

If they have it in the store, sooner or later it will be on sale. The slide hammer part is also going to be a PITA vs the tension puller from Stihl.

I love these videos. Another thread to add to my book marks. As always, refer to the Stihl shop manual for proper vacuum and pressure levels and time durations.

Has anyone ever seen a decomp valve get pulled in (to the decompression position) during a vacuum test? I think I've heard that the decomp should be replaced with a bolt, but not sure if that's absolutely necessary.

Saw it and wonder if it would work? For $20.00 may pick one up and see. I've pi#$ed away more money than this on parts, etc.
Bob

Went by and the arms are WAY too big. The guy at the store recommended that I take two dental picks and tape them together. I think that I'll just keep using the screw driver and think happy thoughts.

Very nice work Brad and I am sure you checked bearings for wear too. I always check them to make sure slop is not what wore the seals.

Last edited:
Nice work again Brad,
If I keep posting about 4 stroking will you post us a video of that. It would help alot of forks here. Keep up the great work!!!!!!!

Very good Brad! I appreciate all who share their knowledge.

Is 10"/vacuum all that is required?....A friend wanted to borrow my refrigeration vacuum pump to try on his saw....I'm afraid it would be too much, it will draw an A.C. system down to 30" in no time...

Thank You, for taking the time to record and post your work. I wish I had the knowledge to do video.
When I worked on car engines I would use crocus cloth to polish the harmonic balancer. The results were no oil weapage after many miles.

Thanks Brad for doing this thread. I have a Pioneer P51 that was giving me fits. I don't have my Mityvac yet, so I decided to just pressure test. I definitly found the problem. There is a major air leak behind the reed cage and the seal on the flywheel side. I will order the parts in the morning. I posted some pics of the plates I made and the bubbles (windex) there not to clear but trust me it looked like the saw in the video you made.
arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

Latest posts

Back