How well could a tree Survive if I...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kordave12

Reaction score
How well could a tree survive if I were to drive a wooden stake into the tree? Would the tree die from the drilled hole? Or would the stake act as a covered wound and it would grow around the wooden stake?

I don't want to kill the tree. It's a lovely tree. But I have my own reasons for sticking the wooden stick into the tree... I'm not crazy, I promise.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm thinking a 3/4 inch stake. About 6 or 7 inches into the tree with a diameter of about 16". Possibly multiple stakes.

How long would it take for the tree to heal it's wounds and tighten around the stake? Or would it possible reject the wooden stake and shrivel away from it? Loosening the stake.

Thanks again!
-Dave

Yes. I am. Want to go up at least 10-15 feet. So the stakes won't last very long would they? The tree wouldn't accept it like a graft?

The tree will try to compartmentalize the stake - grow around it but it may rot off long before that, depending on what kind of wood you use. I wouldn't use treated wood. Each stake runs the risk of introducing infection into the tree. If you go through with it, maybe rinse them with alcohol first?

Way back in the 70's we drove 12 inch long nails every foot or so up the trunk of a date palm, makin it easier to walk right up like a ladder, lasted decades, to my later embarrassment!

Get er done boy!

Jomoco

I have an elm that I drilled with 1/2" holes obliquely to bang in rebar for a permanent ladder, left side and right.

Codit was great.

There's a customer with some kinda spruce or somethin in the aderondikes, gettin eaten by bugs from the bottom up Guy!

He needs professional certified help, over in homeowner help.

Gotta lake right next to em, touchy situation.

A thrilling challenge in detective work.

Jomoco

Latest posts

Back