How would you deal with this storm damage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpacemanSpiff23

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
ghBZ6pe.jpg
These were at a local disc golf course that got hit by a storm. The one mostly standing is about 20" diameter. I'm not under them. The trunk on the right is broken and twisted about 2 feet up from the ground. I am an amateur/volunteer chainsaw owner and went out to clean up any trees that were already down. I have enough experience to know that I do not have enough experience to even touch this mess. It was taken down this morning by someone but they didn't say how they did it. What would be the best/safest way to get these down without a crane or large equipment?

While we're talking about storm damage, how often do pros get their bars pinched in blown down trees and tangles of branches?

a drive set track basket machine works well.
and they can be rented.
always start with all of the branches that are not touching any thing for a shift of the tree.
v cut a bit on the top side in the middle.
then a cut from the bottom side up till it is ready to drop.
then finish chunking it on the ground.

experience comes from doing.
and it is best to have a ground crew when you are working!!
safety harness is a must.
always have plenty of wedges on hand... the plastic wedges are the best for new users...

Is there a safe way to do it from the ground? I don't think you could get anything bigger than a wheelbarrow back to this spot. I assume it was done from the ground.

Is there a safe way to do it from the ground? I don't think you could get anything bigger than a wheelbarrow back to this spot. I assume it was done from the ground.
Safe way is from the ground put a strong rope up high in it and pull from a safe distance in hopes of disloging it. you dont want to be near a tree like that if you arent experienced.

If they’re okay losing another tree, I would lob the big leaner (at right) at it, or there may be a better tree on the opposite side to hit it with, and reconsider from there. There’s usually a good chance it’ll knock the snag out.

Otherwise or even if the other tree didn’t knock it down, big line around the hanger and then get a mechanical advantage (or a come-along dogged onto the line) attached to a solid anchor and pull it in whatever direction gets it on the ground.

without climbing it, or a massive machine.

the safest thing would be to start at the stump end of the blow down tree and cut it free, being mindful of it moving in strange ways, and the root ball doing strange things as well.
if it don't work the first time, cut some more off, never cut over your shoulders on something like this btw

keep taking chunks off until it falls on its own, or it gets small enough that a simple come-a-long will pull it free, most times they will drop out after a couple chunks are takin out

Chucking more trees at it, can work, but it can also lead to an even bigger more dangerous mess.

Hanging a rope up high, may or may not work, depends on how and why its hung up, and which direction you are pulling, that said, I know of at least one person killed doing it this way.

But the thing to remember that tree is heavy, and will take a great deal of force to even get into motion, more if its hung on something.

If you have the power (a 4x4 truck would do it) the better option would be to cut the root wad off, tie onto the butt end as low as possible, and drive away as fast as possible, if you do this, and you are tied off too high, you run the risk of tipping the whole damned thing over and squirshing the pull vehicle, so tie it low

How would I deal with that?

I would, based only on the picture and not being able to see the stump or any binding pressure (particularly at that tree in the middle??) either just undercut it near the stump and then buck it down, or notch the bottom side and put a back-cut on top.

anyway, it's just a leaner. They all require particular care.

Im with holeycow and northmanlogging.

With situations like this, take all the time you need to asses the situation and likely out comes.

It looks to be pretty well hung up. That says that it doesnt matter how much you cut working your way up the tree, its going to stay hung up. From about 3’ up Id do a top cut till you see the cut just start to close up. Then cut from underneath. Always stay rearward and away best you can and progress slowly so you get a sense of what the trunk is wanting to do. It should go farward and progressively with each cut. Once you are close, but not too close, winch it off. You dont want to be near this when it dislodges. Even a branch can come back at you. Ive been taken out by one and lost alot of blood.

Ill say it again. Assess and consider all possibilities. It is perfectly doable but you need to go about it with caution.

I am having a little trouble understanding what is being said here. The tree pictured are not even a two hour job. No need for equipment or the like just cut them down and move on to the next. Every one starts some where. I am a strong believer in come a longs as I often keep at least ten of them operational. Thanks

Attachments

• 1-20 003.jpg
    1-20 003.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 1-20 007.jpg
    1-20 007.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 20
I am having a little trouble understanding what is being said here. The tree pictured are not even a two hour job. No need for equipment or the like just cut them down and move on to the next. Every one starts some where. I am a strong believer in come a longs as I often keep at least ten of them operational. Thanks

“Cut them down”. That obviously includes cutting the tree thats holding the hung up tree. That means you are underneath that hung up tree. Definitely dont do it.

its not a 2hr job.

Tbh I'd call in reinforcements. I have a good friend that logs. Get a skidder or something else in there to pull it down from the but end. Not being there and seeing it makes it hard to say for sure, but (as said before) proceed with caution.

Some people deal with those as a matter of course on a daily basis.

Generally you can cut it off the stump with an undercut (watching carefully and feeling for the bind), and then just start bucking it with ever steeper angle undercuts. The tree usually just falls down a section at a time and eventually starts spearing itself into the ground. The most danger (other than major binds and falling debris) is usually when the tree gets shorter and it falls backwards right at you. If you've never done one (and even if you've done many), there can be some big surprises. Anyway, the OP did the right thing if he wasn't comfortable with that situation. Good call on his part.

It looks routine to me, based only on pics.

yup a BIG difference in the workers...
a seasoned pro?? a couple of guys and a couple of hours...
yea just another day in the tree biz!!:rock2:

now a home owner who had the cash to buy a box store saw???
just walk away!!:crazy2:
not a good job for a casual tree trim guy...
way too many things can go wrong if you are not in the tree biz.

keep in mind that the OP is donating time on this...
under paid and over worked!! lol!

I walked away from a few snags on one of our trails just a couple of days ago..I would have been bonked by dead branches almost for sure. The wind will eventually take them.

“Cut them down”. That obviously includes cutting the tree thats holding the hung up tree. That means you are underneath that hung up tree. Definitely dont do it. its not a 2hr job.

If one can not pull a fallen tree out of other trees without effecting standing trees then there is a problem. I do it all the time with out risk or I would not be here. Thanks

If one can not pull a fallen tree out of other trees without effecting standing trees then there is a problem. I do it all the time with out risk or I would not be here. Thanks

Ted, no offence intended.

You said, “cut THEM down”. It suggested to others that the hung up tree and the tree its hung up in should be cut down. To cut down the tree holding the hung up tree, you would need to be under the hung up tree. Extremely unsafe postion.

A little offence taken to save a possible fatality is a good deal.

Maybe with “them” you meant all hung up trees?

Al.

Aus I did not find any thing offensive that you said or implied. I have considered sharing MY MO but if every one is happily taken down their trees there is no need. I struggled for years taking down trees and was always looking for short cuts which never came. Then there was always a element of risk that I did not like. Improvement after improvement came until the operation was a no brainer. Thanks

Done quite a few of these. Cut the stump end and pull it away from the standing tree. Might be able to save the other tree this way. Severing the football is tricky. My method is cut through about two thirds of the stem from the side, leaving a substantial "trigger" on the other side, then cut the trigger with a cheap polesaw. Depending on the forces, angled cut to get the stem to drop when the rootball settles back. Then pull the tree back out of the bind with a really strong hand winch of some sort. Usually require a second butt-cut horizontal with the ground, and angled up slightly so it will skid and not dig in, as you pull it. Wedges, lots of wedges.

Back