How would you remove this Pecan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OklahomaBrad

Reaction score
Hello All,

Seeking your experienced counsel.
Please review this photo and advise me how you would piece this tree out.
I will be using my bucket truck with a 52' working height. (I am guessing the tree to be 60'?) Since I have bid it out, I have lost sleep over this one...just want to be wise and check my thoughts.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you.

Attachments

• Pecan.PNG
    Pecan.PNG
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 40
You will need help in the bucket and take it down piece by piece starting at the lower limbs, you can move your bucket to drop in a safe zone. Tie off anything you think your helper in the bucket can't handle. The question is can you get your bucket truck in there? By removing the lower limbs piece by piece first it gives you more room to move the bucket and a better drop zone without limbs hanging up on the way down. Some limbs you tie off you may have to rope down. The good news is most Pecan trees don't have a main trunk going up to far, they branch out so it is ease to limb them down as you go. Far sure you will have to clean-up as you go because there is not much room there and a lot to come down.

The question is can you get your bucket truck in there?

Thanks ATpro. Yes I believe I will be able to get the bucket truck in. I will take the lower limbs first as advised. I will climb and remove those if needed to clear for the bucket path.
Do you think I can rope and portawrap with xrings every limb (largest included), or do you think I will need to chunk the largest limbs?
If I chunk the limbs over the house I plan to rig and tie a tag line to direct the lower of the chunks clear of the house.

Any good suggestions to aid in weight calculations?

From the looks of the picture it looks like you have a small drop zone in front, don't know what you have to work with on the back side. With a helper in the bucket much of the outer limbs you can chunk and move with the bucket to the drop zone but I would still rope them just in case the helper accidentally drops one. On the bigger stuff portawrap, xrings and maybe tag line. The problem seems to be you have limited space to work especially on the back side where you can't get too the outer limbs to chunk them with your bucket. There you will have to use the portawrap, xrings and a tag line to control decent, I would still try to use the bucket if you can, no need in climbing if you don't have to.

PS. I took another look at your picture again and see another small tree behind the front one which makes your problem more complicated. Who is the owner of the tree, the one with the car in the driveway or the other house.

Back