How would you tackle this tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll use my 460 with a 24" bar and save my arms the workout.
The advice is relating to his comfort level.
I believe the OP said "keep the advice comming to prevent me from killing myself". Even if they ask "what would 'you' do". Rarely what I would do and what the person asking should do are the same.

It's like this:
"What would you do"?
" blah blah blah"...." Oh great...I'll give it a try"!. .."Easy tiger, I said that's what I would do". "OK then what should I do"?
"Open the wallet"!

The advice is relating to his comfort level.
I believe the OP said "keep the advice comming to prevent me from killing myself". Even if they ask "what would 'you' do". Rarely what I would do and what the person asking should do are the same.

It's like this:
"What would you do"?
" blah blah blah"...." Oh great...I'll give it a try"!. .."Easy tiger, I said that's what I would do". "OK then what should I do"?
"Open the wallet"!

You are correct. Better to waste a pole saw than risk injury.

I would definitely get rid of the hitchhiker first. Cut a wide big wedge in the big boy. It's going to hold the root ball until the last minute. Let it fall back.

I would start by cutting the bigger tree off the stump right there and see what happens then. It looks safe enough to do now, it looks like the very first step. The smaller higher tree might flop back in. If it didn't:

One method of dealing with uproots like this is to rig the tree so it can't tip back up while you cut it. You just get a rope in the tipped tree and anchor it to the base of another with a porty or something so you can let it back up slow after you climb it to get the top off.

You can do it with just one anchor depending of situation and if that's all you have but installing other ropes and anchors can help direct things and add security.

You can also set a high pulley in an adjacent tree.

I did something like this and just rode the pole back across the fence til upright. Had a few guy lines on that and it was nothing scary, no HAIL MARY cuts at the stump. Lawd NO!

Just to clarify. When I originally started this thread, The "tree" referred to in the title was the hitchhiker, not the larger one that caused the root ball to begin with. I was content to leave the big one where he was. But now y'all done gone and put a notion in my head that I may be able to take care of them both and return the root ball back to it's original position. I think I might need a bigger saw. Heck, I will always need a bigger saw.

We have the remnants of the hurricane coming through this weekend so I'll probably just survey a little more and cut when the weather is better. I'll keep you all updated on my progress with pics as I go.

I figured I would provide an update for you alls' amusement.

After reading all of the replies, I thought I would attempt to go after the larger tree at the bottom of the photos and see if I could roll back the root ball and return the upper tree to the upright. I figured I would cut a small face on the bottom side, plunge cut the middle and then leave myself about a 6 inch cut on the top to prevent it from kicking around when the root ball started rolling. Terrified

Since I never had done it before, I decided to practice plunge cutting on a fallen red oak nearby. Easy peasy. About 400 yards from this tree was another - much smaller - tree that had fallen over during the same storm. It was about 16 in diameter and suspended 4 feet off the ground with a 4 or 5 foot root ball. This would be perfect to see how the root ball would move and which direct the tree goes when it breaks free.

I notched the bottom with a small 2"cut. I then went in for the plunge cut. Perfect. I moved the saw up to within 5 inches of the top. I then wanted to finish the "hinge" by cutting closer to the notch. Did I mention that the entire tree was suspended in the air?

BRRRrrrr..........p.

Oops. Pinched and going nowhere.

1478905561_zpsbeielgw7.jpg

I guess it could have been worse. At least I had my wrench so there's only a bar and chain stuck in a tree, deep in woods, in the middle of NC. Note to self- bring wedges and use them.

The Rookie

I had intended just to clean up some trails today so it was the only saw I had with me. The whole point was to try some techniques so I thought the half scale saw would be ok.

At my current experience level, anything I had in my hand was going to get stuck.

the saga continues...

After finally realizing I was way over my head, I decided to start at the top. My neighbor and I have been cutting and collecting firewood working our way toward the base.

Here is my thrill seeking daughter tempting fate. I think the main tree has settled down into the ground about six inches since it fell.

1482090313_zpsz5qd8zbb.jpg

We have pulled about 5 6x10 flatbed trailer loads out of the woods with a tractor so far.

1482090337_zps47smv8eu.jpg

Sorry about they crappy photos.

Latest posts

Back