How would you work this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Masters

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is a tricky one for sure. The species is some kind of local birch.

IMG_20190524_121213.jpg
Note the septic tank at the bottom left.

The yard is enclosed, but there is room to get a bucket truck or boom lift in.

Here's a closer look at the stem and the critical breaking point;

IMG_20190524_121239.jpg

IMG_20190524_121303.jpg

The trunk is rotted and almost totally hollow. Total height is about 45'.

IMG_20190524_121246.jpg IMG_20190524_121252.jpg

Any ideas?

Any trees near enough to climb and use as tie off points?

Definitely protect that tank cover, that's for sure.

My climber would probably go up given the life left in that section. I'd tell him to tie off in another tree and he'd say no. He'd go right up and cut small.

Not a poplar?

Nothing close enough to rig the tree or to help a climber.

If I saw somebody climbing this tree I would dial 9, 1, and watch closely.

From here it does not even look like a challenge. I would bet my low IQ helper could figure that one out. However he is not very good with a sling shot and I have to load the cross bow for him so maybe he could figure it out but not do it himself. It looks like it could be taken down in two pieces or three at the most. If some one is in a super big hurry you order a crane. Shoot a line in to the very top part of the tree where all the foliage is and pull it away from the house. Then either climb it or if the tree is unsafe shoot a rope saw part way down and start cutting. Yup you will get tired pulling the saw, but no chance of injury or damage. When half or more of the tree is down put a face cut and back cut bring the rest to the ground. Go home and have a pizza and beer or get a burger on your way home because there will be more trees to take down tomorrow. Thanks

Theres a lot that's not seen in the pictures, view from the deck, view from under the deck, view from the natural lay.
Tricky, that tree is more like an overgrown weed, hardly any weight to deal with at all.
1 Toss a line in it(just in case the bottom is rotten too much to get it to fall directly where you want, and to pull the top back) and drop it toward the drive into the group of maples, whittle it down from the bottom when it gets hung up so that the top will tip back towards the tank lid give it a pull.
2 set a line in it and thru a pulley or crotch if available(I can't see in the pictures) in the larger tree to the right in the first picture, and pull it that way then cut the bottom off until it hangs loosen the porty and drop it down cutting the bottom until the top tips.
First video I found searching, not the best, but you get the point for option 2.

Any trees near enough to climb and use as tie off points?
Looks like the tree to the right in the first picture would suffice, and another line to the group of maples.

How did the car get in? Set up bucket right there and piece it out (I'm getting lazy) or the picture is deceiving. Tree looks like poplar, probably Aspen so it won't hold a hinge very well.
The OP mentioned a bucket, but in another post he said he beats guys bids all the time because he's a climber and doesn't need a bucket truck, I'm curious to see what he decides on this one.
Heck you could notch it off a ladder above the 90 in the good wood and make the back cut off the deck with a gas polesaw dropping the top towards the drive or set a rope in it with a guy pulling it slightly towards the drive and cut straight down on the horizontal portion with a polesaw off the deck and let it peal. Lots of options from where I sit.

For the guys who :crazy2: because I said ladder, it will be just fine, he's a climber.

The ground is not safe to drop the tree or even do a cut and chuck. Hi
In the Poconos there's no soil, only rocks. Which means that the septic systems are built above ground and then covered with sand and dirt. (You can see the tank cover in the first pic.) If anything heavier than a twig hits the field you could end up literally swimming in ****...
@chipper1 - I wouldn't climb this tree. I'm leaning towards rigging small pieces to a boom lift. I may be a bottom feeder, but I am insured and nobody gets hurt on my jobs.

"The key to success is careful planning followed by rapid execution"
- Napoleon

In the Poconos there's no soil, only rocks. Which means that the septic systems are built above ground and then covered with sand and dirt. (You can see the tank cover in the first pic.) If anything heavier than a twig hits the field you could end up literally swimming in ****...
@chipper1 - I wouldn't climb this tree. I'm leaning towards rigging small pieces to a boom lift. I may be a bottom feeder, but I am insured and nobody gets hurt on my jobs.

- Napoleon

You should not rig anything to a boom. I’m familiar with your area and the septic systems in it. Bring in a lift or a bucket, lay down a couple sheets of 3/4 plywood, cut the pieces small and chuck them down on the plywood.
Easy peasy.

- Napoleon
There are many ways this could be done without hitting the tank at all. The main reason I was looking at tipping the top or the whole tree in the direction of the drive is cleanup and because I have no pictures of what is on the ground on the other side. If it's real sensitive then I'd set up a speed-line with a pulley on the line from the maples by the drive to the larger tree on the right in the first picture. Shoot a line into the top and through the pulley then cut as big of a piece as you are comfortable with from the deck (or a ladder if your comfortable with that) with a polesaw and repeat until you can drop the spar the other direction. I agreed with your post in the other thread about too much equipment, and on this one if you can keep the equipment out it sounds fine, if not bring in a small bucket.
The swimming thing doesn't sound like an option I'd go for.
How big is the tank, does it start at the lid and go away from the house.

Thanks for the replies.

I like Chipper1's creativity and DSW made me laugh but I think Jed1124's idea has to win out. The simplest answer is usually the right one.

There are many ways this could be done without hitting the tank at all. The main reason I was looking at tipping the top or the whole tree in the direction of the drive is cleanup and because I have no pictures of what is on the ground on the other side. If it's real sensitive then I'd set up a speed-line with a pulley on the line from the maples by the drive to the larger tree on the right in the first picture. Shoot a line into the top and through the pulley then cut as big of a piece as you are comfortable with from the deck (or a ladder if your comfortable with that) with a polesaw and repeat until you can drop the spar the other direction. I agreed with your post in the other thread about too much equipment, and on this one if you can keep the equipment out it sounds fine, if not bring in a small bucket.
The swimming thing doesn't sound like an option I'd go for.
How big is the tank, does it start at the lid and go away from the house.

The septic system runs from the house to the tank to the raised field which I was standing on when I took the first picture. So I have to assume the whole yard is not ok to drop on.

The top part of the tree has several small branches which would be unlikely to cause any damage to any thing. I keep an assortment of OSB sheets to lay down if I think there any Chance of damage. Along with ply sheets about ten or fifteen old tires can cushion even the most sensitive areas. Thanks

Back