How's your wood pile holding out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting very low, already burning the load of ash that I got a few weeks back. I estimate at this rate I only have 1.5 to 2 weeks supply left.

This weekend isn't looking too great weatherwise either, I am probably going to have to call out of work one day to cut, and hopefully find some good standing dead.

So far Ive been holding up great. Only a cord and possibly a half burnt so far. Hoping for a good February, It would be nice to have a good start for next yr. Still sitting on about 2 cords I haven't got split yet.

Just moved another cord or so in the basement this past weekend... if'n it don't warm up some I may need a bit more before the end. So far I've burned somewhere near 5 cord... 2 cord hard maple, 1 cord oak and the rest mostly elm/walnut mix. There's 'round 2 cord in the house now... something over a cord of oak and something under a cord of hard maple... clean out'a any "shoulder season" firewood.

No worries of running out though.... still have 'round 9 cord oak sittin' in stacks outside.
I need to get busy cuttin'... but after this last storm the snow is blown in 'round waist deep some places in the woodlot. Need to see some melting before I can get serious... and we're supposed to get more snow this week. I was lazy this fall... didn't harvest near as much standing-dead elm as I should have, now I'll be burnin' that good oak when it starts warmin' up :( Can't get in the woodlot to haul it out if I cut it now.

Flat didn't figure this winter right... never would'a guessed this kind'a cold and snow together.
Figured I'd be cuttin' and haulin' standing-dead most all of December into January, and figured I be starting in on the oak about now... figured wrong.

Figured I'd be cuttin' and haulin' standing-dead most all of December into January, and figured I be starting in on the oak about now... figured wrong.

You just live on the wrong end of the state. Did some red elm cutting around Christmas with some friends and probably have 1 1/2 cord from last sat afternoon of Mulberry. We have missed out on several of the last snows or only got an inch or so. Only snow we have are in drifts and shaded areas.

I lived 4 years up in NW Iowa with their all winter snow cover. It's nice getting a few breaks from winter.

Now 3 years ago I was pretty snowbound. About all I got cut was a huge ash tree out of a city park. The city manager had the snow pushed out of the landing zone.

I am transitioning from Red Elm to Oak over this week.

Stay Warm!

I lived 4 years up in NW Iowa with their all winter snow cover.

And wind... don't forget that NW wind... L-O-L
I travel into NW Iowa a lot for work.
Once you get west of I-35 and north of hwy-20 the land flattens out, and that NW wind comes across like a friggin freight train... ain't nothin' to slow it down‼ Heck, some winters hwy-18 is closed more than it's open L-O-L‼ (Not really, but it sure seems like it sometimes.)

I don't know if I could handle living in a frigid climate like Alaska with a cold snap that lasts for months but from what I've seen and read about it I think it would be doing...

Not this year...
Haven't seen the proper side of the freezing mark in weeks. Tonight is the coldest we've seen, 35°. Heck, a few nights ago I snapped a pic of the thermometer at midnight reading 50°.
This year's wood pile is starting to become next year's, the fancy new Honda snowblower is growing rust, and the cover has yet to come off my snowmobile. Oh, and as I finished that last sentence my wife just informed me that our 6yo daughter's Saturday Nordic ski club meet has, for lack of slick white stuff, been changed to a beach party. Yes, really.

Even we Alaskans aren't living the Alaska fantasy.

I've been processing only enough firewood for a few days or week at a time most of the winter.

The past few weeks I've finally gotten ahead. I have enought probably to last till mid February. At zero degrees I burn almost a cord per week, mostly pine, cedar, poplar, and elm.

My weekly drive to the wood pile ended up with my truck stuck AGAIN! Not bad stuck but had to shovel out from the tires. Damn drifts. I loaded extra in the truck because of the impending storm of doom which is rumored to dump between 20 and 40 inches of snow. I counted out what I have left of "this" years wood and it looks like about 6 weeks left. Nope I ain't gonna make it. Gonna have to dip into next years supply. SUMBYATCH!!!!!
Here is what I brought in the house. About 10 -12 days worth.

photo (8).JPG

What impending storm of doom?? When?? Where?? And how come I ain't heard about it??
I know this is mean... but I hope it's all goin' your way and not mine.

I don't think it involves you actually Spidey. Looks like its coming form the south west. I'll look into it more. Guys at work were talking about it saying 20 plus inches of snow. Also seen some crap on Facebook.
Ever since I quit plowing snow for a living I don't watch the weather. Can't change it but would be nice to prepare for an "impending storm of doom"

Nope I ain't gonna make it. Gonna have to dip into next years supply. SUMBYATCH!!!!!

I checked the wheelbarrow tire today because next week the stupid -7 to 10 degrees is coming for 5 out of 7 days and I'm gonna be bringin in next years wood. Double son of a beech!!

Been cold up near the VT/NY/CA border, but nowhere near as bad as you fellers in MI/MN/WI. I'm good, as I've got about 10 cords for next year, but don't want to touch that yet.
Cut/split some standing dead elm this week just in case I need it later this heating season. RTB. 4 bucket loads. 84" loader.

Elm **** Wood.jpg

My supply is short, we have a couple of ricks inside., and maybe 2 cord in a pile outside the wood room. The outside wood is not all split, and we are feeding two smoke dragons heating a loose old farm house whit a half built uninslated large addition. My wife, gramme said a few minutes ago we better get wood this weekend even though the weather will not be nice. with over 10 cubic foot of non EPA fire box we can burn a lot of wood.

Bushmans, bet that heat is had on your mounts eh? Doin fine on wood, few yrs ahead. We wondered why we just kept fallin into wood scores 2yrs ago. This winter we know why, perfect timeing. Buddies daughter paid 6.89 a gal for propain(misspelled intentionally) and had 100 gal limit. Who the heck would want more at that price. We have older rural folks shuttin the house up and livin out of a couple rooms. We are worried for them, fixed incomes dont accomidate 6.86 a gal propain

Latest posts

Back