How's your wood pile holding out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I normally burn 13-18 cords per year heating both houses to 72-75 degrees. As a rule my monthly cord usage from Oct-April sort of averages out something like 1,2,3,4,3,2,1. Or Oct. 1 cord, Nov. 2 cord, Dec.3 cord, Jan 4 cords, etc....But this month was friggin nuts, unlike 2012 when I barely used 1 cord in January.

IMG_20140304_144156.jpg

It goes to the back of the line but may get burnt this winter LOL

The stacks have been slowly shrinking. The empty stack area in the foreground was 2/3 filled when we started burning last fall. The stack in the background is part of next year's supply.

Figger we've burned through over 2 cord already... and we haven't seen the last of it.

100_547.jpg

It ain't lettin' up much here either... still burnin' firewood by the armload.
Likely by week's end I'll be burning what I figured for next year. We had a bit of a warm-up last week and I was hoping that signaled the end of this below zero crap... not a friggin' chance, -10° this morning.

Man, I got up this morning, looked at the thermometer and thought to myself...
I WANT MY MOMMY‼

I've used about 1 cord this year, nighttime temps have been in the teens. We seem to use less than every one else we know that burns wood, but yet our inside temps are in the 70 to 80's.

Tough one here also..
Started a month earlier, burning hard ever since, no end in sight..

During our first cold spell (-15 with 40 below chills), my buddy with a central boiler went thru a cord of Osage orange in under 5 days. His house is only 1680 sqft, and it's uninsulated. He's burning over 32 full sized heaping truckloads of wood a season, probably more this year. It's hard for him to keep up with the thing, but having knob and tube wiring, he can't insulate until it's out of the walls. I don't know if I could even keep up with something like that.

Well Friday morning my Dad said he was going out to get a load of "junk wood". He knew a spot on our property with a bunch of Poplar, white birch and beech had been cut down several years ago and it hadn't grown legs and wandered off yet. So I decided to join him, He took the Farmall 400 with one wood trailer and I took the Long with another trailer, He got mostly Poplar and I got a decent mix.

I ended up getting some help and going back out Saturday morning for another load. The weather wasn't all that bad, just a little freezing rain, I should have gone out for more as we are forecasted to get at least 12" of snow tomorrow.

Already burning this stuff, it sizzles a good bit when you toss it in, but it starts burning and stove top temps are 450-500 so it's heating fine. :)

Back