How's your wood pile holding out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was working in Raymond Illinois the last couple days (about 60 miles northeast of St. Louis). "They" said it was cold around there... but with temperatures running around 20° it felt like spring compared to what I've been dealing with here. Then I got the pleasure of driving 6½ hours home it that snow storm yesterday... just gotta' love winter.

The weather guys are predicting 9 out'a the next 10 mornings below zero, highs in single digits with a couple low teens mixed in. At least it appears the wind is finally gonna' let up a bit after today... at least be something under 20 MPH (I don't even remember when that last was), almost calm on Saturday but with more friggin' snow. Looks like, because of the heavy snow cover and according to "experts", temperatures will be staying well below "normal" into March... and likely snowy.

I'll be well into what I thought was next years wood by months end... and if'n it don't start warming up in March, I wouldn't wanna' bet there'll be enough left for (a cold?) next year.
As soon as we get enough melting to get in the woodlot I'm gonna' haf'ta get real friggin' busy... but man, the way things are going, that could be April‼
We've got several layers of snow/ice/snow/ice/snow that makes it impossible to to get tin there.

Good thing I cut and split about 6-8 cords this fall/winter, I had to load a half of cord in my truck for weight so I could plow! LOL I figure once the snow is over I'll park by the stove and feed it from the truck until it's empty:)

I'll bet I burned 6 cord already and it is not even half way through winter. A normal winter like we have been having the last 10 years, about 7 cords would get me by all winter.

I'm about 3/5 through with my stash for this year, which was about 10 cord. I'm worried that I'll have to get into next year's pile, which leaves me behind by a lot . . . this spring will be very busy.

Blew through the 6 cord stacked in the basement and into next years wood. Fortunately I have 4 years of wood ahead, split and stacked. Another 15 cord in logs and tree length I dropped last fall.

I will stay busy cutting for another month, I hate cutting when it starts to get sloppy out. We have a lot of snow and when it melts it will be like quick sand out there.

During our first cold spell (-15 with 40 below chills), my buddy with a central boiler went thru a cord of Osage orange in under 5 days. His house is only 1680 sqft, and it's uninsulated. He's burning over 32 full sized heaping truckloads of wood a season, probably more this year. It's hard for him to keep up with the thing, but having knob and tube wiring, he can't insulate until it's out of the walls. I don't know if I could even keep up with something like that.
I couldn't imagine a full cord of Osage ( the best btu wood in North America ) to last only 5 days . God bless You guys going through 10 + cords . Way more than I'd want to burn in a season

Back