How's Your Wood Pile Looking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many cords will you burn this winter?

• Total voters
My Aunt & Uncle's old barn looked a lot like the first one you posted, but the roof line was straight. Unfortunately, it came down a few years ago, was over 100 years old. You could still see bark on some of the timbers they used.

They used to have 30+ cows, back when you could survive with that many. The new regulations force you to have many more to stay in business.

I have a lot of good memories of playing in that barn with my brother & cousins, climbing the old ladders, jumping in the hay. It is a shame it is gone.

Them are some nice pic's. I love to look at old barns and see how they were built.
Our barn was my Grandmothers parents home place. The foundation is still original the upper burnt in the late 40's and they rebuilt it.

I've restocked the 9 cords I burned last winter. This is the first time in 10+ years I'm caught up on splitting/stacking. I'll be headed back to the wood lot soon to cut some more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    929.6 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
this is 2015 supply, photo taken last winter, plus a few loads added. I am currently cutting standing dead ash.

IMG_1651.jpg

I usually have seven to ten cord in the wood sheds by now, as I sit, looking at the small shed by the house, I might have 3/4 of a cord. I have lots of standing dead Red Oak, but not likely to get much down. I'm retiring October 31, and then getting my left knee replaced. if I have a couple weeks between the surgery and retiring, I might be able to get a couple cords of the bone dry top wood stacked on the front porch and small shed, but doesn't look good, Joe.

I guess it came down just over a decade ago. These pics are from May 2004:

If I don't miss my semi-educated guess, that barn was raised sometime between the World Wars to build a new dairy underneath which could meet new health inspection requirements for more air circulation, white-washing of walls, and a floor which could be scraped/hosed which the old barn couldn't meet.

Quite possible. My relatives purchased it in the 50s. The previous owner committed suicide.

My Aunt had 7 kids, and their previous Farm, in the Finger Lakes region, did not have indoor plumbing! It is very cold & snowy there, I can't imagine!

Nice dog, we used to have this one:

Attachments

• 100_0003.JPG
    100_0003.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
their previous Farm, in the Finger Lakes region, did not have indoor plumbing!

Wasn't that long ago most didn't...my mom just turned 80, and they didn't have it till after WWII. By the time she was 5 one of her chores was emptying the chamber pots -- to the horse pasture in summer, into the outhouse in winter.

My grandfather worked white collar job and they lived in the center village six or seven houses down from the Town Hall.

My Dad grew up in NYC, so they had indoor plumbing, but he used to talk about taking the bricks that were heated by the coal stove and putting them along your bed so you would stay warm long enough to go to sleep!

He also talked about how after a car accident you would try to get people to a hospital before they bled to death because they did not have safety glass.

It is almost hard to fathom how far we have come in just a few generations.

Stacked stuff was all split last winter; another couple cord split and couple cord round oak in a separate area and the recent split pile and rounds are for next year, the year after or beyond...
dad02bad6165f721651770f15989c397.jpg
3f6c368118ee3c5fb6352bbadbf8c4ed.jpg

One year ago at this time I had no stove and no wood pile...

Back