How's Your Wood Pile Looking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many cords will you burn this winter?

• Total voters
Last summer I built a RMH and burned around 3 cord last winter. Just got a tri ax load Monday for this winter. Burn 3 sell 4 hopefully.

This is our first winter with firewood. I have about a cord on the ground with a little over half that split. Gonna do some more cutting this week. Won't have the luxury of burning well seasoned wood this year. Gonna keep at it through the winter, and try to do better next year...

Warpig6

This is our first winter with firewood. I have about a cord on the ground with a little over half that split. Gonna do some more cutting this week. Won't have the luxury of burning well seasoned wood this year. Gonna keep at it through the winter, and try to do better next year...

Warpig6

Find some standing dead with the bark falling off, or blow downs in a similar state. Anything with the bark easy to get off. Pine, tulip poplar, elm, old dogwoods, etc. Get it split and stacked now, we still have some good heat for drying before cold weather.

Find some standing dead with the bark falling off, or blow downs in a similar state. Anything with the bark easy to get off. Pine, tulip poplar, elm, old dogwoods, etc. Get it split and stacked now, we still have some good heat for drying before cold weather.

Thanks man. Got a lead on some pin oak at a buddy's that been down for about 3 years. Keeping my eye out for more.

Warpig6

Good advice ... always keep an eye out for dead stands. We found some clear-no-knot beauties last year.

Yeah not having enough property to cut wood for myself I need to find others trees to cut and am always looking. I got lucky this year and have a coworker the had some property logged and he let me go cut as much as I wanted from what the loggers left behind. There was about 30 cedar and fir logs cut and stacked and left begind due to not being profitable. I still need to go get more, makes easy cutting when they are all stacked and easily accessible like that.

Moisture check just now with unsplit hickory and redoak, in the round stacked, cut last year late. Shagbark Hickory split right now is 20-22% that redoak is 28%.

Man, got a lotta bugs in that hickory though....Working on that heap next, only a few oak rounds and knots to go. The bugs move out once split.

Power just went out again, stayed out 20 minutes or so, that's twice this week. No storms, guessing just high demand.

One wheelbarrow full of rounds and the fiskars got me soaking wet, ha!

I have 10 cords split and stacked and another 3 in rounds. We burn on an average year around 5. After last year of scrounging I promised to never be behind again.

I have a chord of pine and 2 chords of fir sitting in the sun! I hate that I still have to move it into the wood shed, but everything I got this year was too green. So far the pine splits have lost half their weight and the fir is turning a pretty red color and dropped weight. Been a good summer for drying wood in the PNW!

Mine is looking a little thin. Spent a couple hours bucking up most of the logs. Have 3 left I didn't have time for. Splitting is the easiest and fastest for me. Stacking is time consuming. Will work on it this week after work.

What I really would like is to get about 30-40 trees down on the ground and stacked for bucking up next spring. I have about 10 trees that I want drop, but are beyond what I am comfortable taking down. Neighbor is a logger & he said he'd help me out later this summer.

Mine is looking a little thin. Spent a couple hours bucking up most of the logs. Have 3 left I didn't have time for. Splitting is the easiest and fastest for me. Stacking is time consuming. Will work on it this week after work.

What I really would like is to get about 30-40 trees down on the ground and stacked for bucking up next spring. I have about 10 trees that I want drop, but are beyond what I am comfortable taking down. Neighbor is a logger & he said he'd help me out later this summer.

That'll work, get him to show you correct procedure and reading the trees.

I have learned a LOT just reading here and applying what the more experienced guys have said and shown in pics.

but..the most important is to walk away when it is way over your paygrade. I keep bumping my paygrade up every time I go out though.

I have about 16 or so cords split I have to stack this pile and get it covered. It's been a great year for firewood around here. First year I have got to cut and split green oak. It was all blown down in storms. It so much nicer than the dead stuff I usually mess with! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0123[1].JPG
    IMG_0123[1].JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0125[1].JPG
    IMG_0125[1].JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 112

Latest posts

Back