How's Your Wood Pile Looking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many cords will you burn this winter?

• Total voters
Here's mine holds almost 3 cord, we burn about 1 to 1.5 each year in our fireplace. Plus working up three trees on my neighbor's place that were blown down in a recent storm that will give me and extra 1.5 to 2 cord.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 210
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 192
Mine is looking a little thin. Spent a couple hours bucking up most of the logs. Have 3 left I didn't have time for. Splitting is the easiest and fastest for me. Stacking is time consuming. Will work on it this week after work.

What I really would like is to get about 30-40 trees down on the ground and stacked for bucking up next spring. I have about 10 trees that I want drop, but are beyond what I am comfortable taking down. Neighbor is a logger & he said he'd help me out later this summer.

NH GTG?

Nice photos- keep em coming! ... I'll post some more when I get further along in my splitting. Scorching hot around here for my area so I've been moving slower than normal. Inch by inch, anythings a cinch :p

I fixed my buddy's power splitter yesterday. Had to put helicoils in the pump coupling housing. Someone left the bolts loose [emoji16]. Now I can use it whenever I need it. Woohoo!!
zaduqejy.jpg

I've got about two years worth split/stacked this spring, about 7 cords total. Lots of dying aspen on my property to cut next winter so I'll be good for a few years. Noticed a few dying maple and birch near my hunting cabin that can come down this fall too.

I voted for 5 to 7 Cords..
Give or take.
Already have most of mine ready. Already dropped a load off at my Mom's house.
Burned a good 12 cords last winter, mostly dead standing oak. Ended up with about 5 cords and with the exception of a few weeks rest after the winter( Spring was too miserable) I've been doing wood steady! Just got done stacking in my old garage foundation, about 8 cords, mostly dead oak. Have another 4 stacked out in the field, and about 6 in a pile and another 2-3 that needs to be split.I'm going to take a few days off and then I'll hit it again!!
All the signs pt to a rough winter ahead!

We have close to 2.5 cords.:(
Need at least 2 more for winter as we have a feeling it's going to be a hard winter.
Have to get a couple of more loads by boat to hold us over till we can get out by snowmobile.

Need at least 2 more for winter as we have a feeling it's going to be a hard winter.
Have to get a couple of more loads by boat to hold us over till we can get out by snowmobile.

Dang Vern, you must be way out in the boonies. Satellite internet?

I am such a cold wuss nowadays, I burn that much wood here in Georgia..

Thats not burning much for Alaska weather, what type of heater are you using, that you only need about 4.5 cords?

Thats not burning much for Alaska weather, what type of heater are you using, that you only need about 4.5 cords?
It's about all we can get during the summer with the fuel prices,water levels and work. Have to go further and further every year.
Do supplement with pallets.
Plus it's not always cold up here.:)

we have the pine beetle up here. so most guys get wood in September and October and start burning right away. a lot of dead standing. I cut right once the snow is gone about mid April. I like to have 10-12cords on hand but usually burn 7-8 cords.

It's about all we can get during the summer with the fuel prices,water levels and work. Have to go further and further every year.
Do supplement with pallets.
Plus it's not always cold up here.:)
Where in AK are you? I lived in Palmer for 4 years and I used to burn about 7 a winter there. All birch though as it was that or cotton wood

Haven't been on in TOO long of a time, been SUPER busy. But I figured Id show ya a pic of a lil of what Ive been up to. 20140802_131708.jpg That Nephew is 6 foot 3 inches of force, the pile is actually up to his shoulders now. He is 20 his lil brother who is actually stronger, but shorter, 6 even, wants to make this look like a silo and then build a pile that looks like a barn. I just told em to knock them selves out. Ill keep bringin wood to process. I put a new engine and a whole lotta other work to older nephew's stang, and lil brother wants me to fix up his car, so I get free firewood labor in return. What do you guys think of the pile so far, am I supposed to fill the middle???

Haven't been on in TOO long of a time, been SUPER busy. But I figured Id show ya a pic of a lil of what Ive been up to. View attachment 363541 That Nephew is 6 foot 3 inches of force, the pile is actually up to his shoulders now. He is 20 his lil brother who is actually stronger, but shorter, 6 even, wants to make this look like a silo and then build a pile that looks like a barn. I just told em to knock them selves out. Ill keep bringin wood to process. I put a new engine and a whole lotta other work to older nephew's stang, and lil brother wants me to fix up his car, so I get free firewood labor in return. What do you guys think of the pile so far, am I supposed to fill the middle???

Great helpers there!

Yep, fill up the holz hauzen. That's the whole idea, maximum wood in the smallest square foot ground space.

Where in AK are you? I lived in Palmer for 4 years and I used to burn about 7 a winter there. All birch though as it was that or cotton wood
In the SW.
We do have a boiler that heats the water heater. So that is putting heat into the house.
Been warm winters the past few years.
We burn everything we can get our hands on.
Cotton,birch,spruce and even willow:eek: if it is big enough.

20140818_200039.jpeg It's growing, slowly but its growing. I gotta get those boys over again. All I have to split here now are some 30 inch pieces of beetle killed ash. Uncle Mike is hot to trot to try out his saws on a big giant Oak at my buddies house. Gotta assemble the boys for that job too, nothing like youthful energy to do all the hauling.

Latest posts

Back