Huge trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbuildalot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Most trees in my area aren't really all that big. A "big" hardwood tree would be 4-5'. Very rarely I may see a tree closer to 6'. Not very often though, and hardly any bigger than that.

However, There is a reservoir in my area named Quabbin reservoir that is the largest body of water in the state. I had to pass it today to pick up my quick attach plow. There is a really large old tree at one of the entrances I have seen before. I figured I would snap a pic of it for you guys. It is the largest tree around that I know of, and that I have personally seen up close. I measured the base and it is about 8'6" in diameter.

For reference I have a 6 foot "wingspan"

What is the biggest tree in your area?

19468033_10213126585144359_7711785570915342125_o.jpg

This willow is near Billings, MT.

Yeah, I know I'm wearing white socks with black shoes. I don't care. :p:laugh:

We don't get large trees. By far the easiest way to find a big tree is drive around a town looking for a cottonwood or silver maple.

Here are a few indigenous ones from around the hunting cabin that are of exceptional size for their species.

White pine
IMG_9801.JPG

Jack pine
IMG_5694.JPG

Aspen
IMG_5695.JPG

Red maple
IMG_0596.JPG

Another aspen
IMG_0608.JPG

I used to date a girl who lived in mass. She took me out to the quabbin and its some real nice land.

Out land borders a nature center in south eastern wi and about 100ft off the lot line on one of the walking trails was the biggest tree in our county it’s a giant cottonwood the last time it was measured it’s was over 21’ dbh!! It is just amazing to see.. I don’t really have any good pictures that show the true size but just some of the branches that are laying by it are incredible

Attachments

• 297B291B-57C9-480B-ADF4-4AEC9D67A202.jpeg
    297B291B-57C9-480B-ADF4-4AEC9D67A202.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 94
Out land borders a nature center in south eastern wi and about 100ft off the lot line on one of the walking trails was the biggest tree in our county it’s a giant cottonwood the last time it was measured it’s was over 21’ dbh!! It is just amazing to see.. I don’t really have any good pictures that show the true size but just some of the branches that are laying by it are incredible
Eastern cottonwood trees can become enormous. I ran into one at at the Lewis nnd Clark state park in western Iowa ten years ago and then found another just 12 miles south of my place in Gretna, NE near one of my friend's houses. I'll try to take a Pic of that one and post it next week. We think it might be pushing 100 years old. Occasionally, they become hollow:
Big Holow Cottonwood2.jpg

Attachments

• Big Holow Cottonwood3.jpg
    Big Holow Cottonwood3.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 45
Most trees in my area aren't really all that big. A "big" hardwood tree would be 4-5'. Very rarely I may see a tree closer to 6'. Not very often though, and hardly any bigger than that.

However, There is a reservoir in my area named Quabbin reservoir that is the largest body of water in the state. I had to pass it today to pick up my quick attach plow. There is a really large old tree at one of the entrances I have seen before. I figured I would snap a pic of it for you guys. It is the largest tree around that I know of, and that I have personally seen up close. I measured the base and it is about 8'6" in diameter.

For reference I have a 6 foot "wingspan"

What is the biggest tree in your area?
That looks like an Oak.
Eastern cottonwood trees can become enormous. I ran into one at at the Lewis nnd Clark state park in western Iowa ten years ago and then found another just 12 miles south of my place in Gretna, NE near one of my friend's houses. I'll try to take a Pic of that one and post it next week. We think it might be pushing 100 years old. Occasionally, they become hollow:
View attachment 615996

Around here the Tulip Poplars are the tallest trees, and some are 40+" diameter.
Poplar 4.JPG
Not giants of the west. Some of the Beech are bigger at the base, like 50+" diameter.

Beech 2.JPG
And a couple of the Oaks start out monstrous well over 5' diameter,
Quad Oak 1.JPG
but they mostly split then within the first 20' up into multiple trunks.

Quad spar Oak.JPG
(those leaves are from a different tree reaching into view.)

I know these are not in the running with some of what you all see. Much of the wood in SE PA was cut in the late 1800's and made into charcoal for the iron forges, so trees in our big woods top out at something under 150 years old.

I still sometimes sit on a nearby stump and think of what the world has been through during their lifetime.

Here's one worth examining:
View attachment 617075
Is that a Stihl 090 he's holding? Not sure.
I have some pics at home, but some of the poplars in Joyce Kilmer Forest in WNC are that big. Patch of forest that wasn't logged out in the early 1900s and then preserved. I have seen pictures of the Chestnuts in the area that were incredible, one showed a family standing inside a hollow one. I'kk try to remember to post them later.

Shea

This is a great thread! I'm going to my MIL's to mow her leaves today. I'll get a pic of the giant Poplar in her side yard, I'll put the tape around it to show the girth. This is the "Angle Oak" in Charleston SC. The spread of the drip line is about 200 feet, Joe.

600px-Angel_Oak%2C_Johns_Island%2C_South_Carolina.jpg

Some of those Living Oak trees in the low country of GA/SC are just massive.

I'll echo another poster and mention the Sycamore around me, some of them are gargantuan. They're everywhere near me, anywhere there's a creek, there's Sycamore sprouted up like weeds.

Latest posts

Back