Hults Bruk Arvika 5 Star Axe grinding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
757shinrunner, nice collection. The grinding looks good. I am still trying to get my HB 5 Star to cut a little deeper. It looks like you thinned the edge back quite a ways. Did you make a pretty thin profile as viewed from the top?

757shinrunner, nice collection. The grinding looks good. I am still trying to get my HB 5 Star to cut a little deeper. It looks like you thinned the edge back quite a ways. Did you make a pretty thin profile as viewed from the top?
Wilson Tree, thanks, I did thin the profile of it, i looked at the pics of yours it is very similar. Mine may be just a slight bit thinner. I just got the axe about 2 weeks ago from eBay off of Doc, I have more time grinding it than what i have chopping with it, I have only used it twice, both times I have went back to the belt sander. You can't tell by looking at the pictures but i ground it with a half banana grind. The last time I used it would sink just past the secondary grind then stop. So ill let you know how i make out with it tomorrow in some drier poplar and some moist aspen, try to get some pics too. Good Luck with yours

Wilson_Tree, View attachment 224883/View attachment 224884It cut through the aspen very easily sinking well past were the HB symbol used to be, however in the drier yellow poplar it would only sink in about 1/4" past the made in Sweden stamp. I use it for standing block so it is a little different than what you are looking for if using it for underhand. My girlfriend who competes in PA, used it today and liked it for both underhand and standing, even she got decent penetration into the drier poplar in underhand sinking it to just shy the mid point. I hope that this helps, Good Luck.

I finely have my HB 5 Star chopping okay. I put a new handle on it and worked on the primary bevel a little more. I have decided to leave this axe for frozen, knotty, and hardwoods, so I am giving up some penetration for durability. I have put a ton of time into getting this axe to perform because I really like the weight and feel of it. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

View attachment 227291View attachment 227292View attachment 227293

Yes, I used a 31 inch handle from Carson Bosworth. It comes nicely roughed out and I finished it. I am going to thin the bottom a little bit more. The axe is finely coming together. I have been chopping in some slightly punky, but frozen poplar, so it's hard to really gauge how it is penetrating. I will chop some white pine when it warms up a little later this week, and see how it performs.

I used an angle grinder with 80 grit to do the rough grinding. I went very slowly to prevent heat from ruining the temper. I used a small electric hand sander with 150, then 220, then 320 to polish out the grind marks. Then I used a fine grit diamond file to finish the bevels. My grind is a convex banana grind, but the banana doesn't go too far up the bit as the metal was just so hard to remove. It took a long time with this process and this was by far the most grinding I have ever done on an axe. I'd love to have someone examine the profile to see how I did.

Nice going for you on the Arvika 5-Star. I just got mine in today.

Arvika_xix_rev.jpg

Enjoy!

Nice! Is that your axe? I am interested but wanted a pic looking down to see the profile of the edge. It could make a good axe for my son.

Wilson-tree...I still have a couple pics from when it was mine just had to root through my computer. He is also selling my old hytest challenger it is the same size (cutting edge and weight) as the five star and cuts great i always used the five star for standing block and the hytest for underhand chop either of those axes would make a great axe for someone training for/involved in lumberjack sports.View attachment 286938View attachment 286939

Thanks for those pics. That was exactly what I was looking for. You did a nice job grinding that. How does it cut compared to the Hytest? I use my 5 Star for training in hard, knotty, or frozen wood. Thanks again.

Back