Hurricane Clean-UP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin

No Longer Here
Reaction score
Many of you know I have been asked to go to work the Hurricane in Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. I had extended an offer to work trading leads on work as I will have plenty of leads to give out more than likely. Many do not know what will be needed and not needed. I have compiled a list and would like others to add to it.

Wiped out areas
Log Trucks (w/grapple)
chainsaws (extra if possible/repair will be difficult)
Lots of extra chain
Try to bring extra gas at first (could be a dot problem if too much)
bring 2 cycle
been told chippers are useless in these areas
Crane in some situations

Minor damaged areas
Chippers (just know your boundries) Bring extra knives
Lots of extra chain (there will be a shortage)
extra saw parts or extra saws
more like what you are used to
stump grinders

Business
make sure your workers comp transfers, if not you need another policy

get a writer on your liability insurance for out of state work. yours currently usually covers what state you are in now or only certain states.
Register your business with the secretary of state of the state you are working in. You name of business may be taken.

Bring a certificate of good standing from your state as they probably will need it. If you don't have one you may need to change you drivers license as you probably will not be able to get a transient merchants license. You may need to start another corp which kinda sucks because you will have to file separately. Just another expense. You usually can get yours online from the secretary of state.

Depending on what licensing is in that area you may need to be bondable, but this is more for construction from what I have seen in the past.

You might need a warehouse. Thievery will be huge. BTW you will probably get something stolen. Most everyone I knew in last years storm got something ripped off. I will probably will get a yard. Just don't know yet. We may be able to share and save $$$.

Please add as I am sure I forgot a few. Share experiences. Probably anything will help these people. And if anyone goes down and rips people off after a ordeal like this. You will be shot here. You always get a few gypsies. :angry: Yes you will benefit financially, but they need help rebuilding so that part is cool too. It's not like you will be taking bread out of local arborists mouths.

storm clean up

hey everyone i met with reps from oep and army corp.will be talking again tommorrow.you may contact us so we can add you to our clean up .i maintain several tree contracts in new orleans and surrounding areas.email or you can try to call me 504 466 6060 .phones have been off and on .thanks :)

Darin I would add to your list the need for equipment to *Repair* trees. Many storm-damaged trees are easily salvageable, but removed in the heat of the moment. If only branches are broken, they can be headed--"stubbed" back just behind the breakage for now, and fully restored starting this winter. That area's going to be uninhabitable enough for a time to come, poor people; no need to remove all of their canopy just because the machines are running.

Drills and threaded rod for bracing cracks.

O and ditto on the security issue. Working after Jean last year with TreeCo I set my climbing rope on a picnic table. 5 minutes later, Poof! :angry2:

I have equipment that I can have available, but man power would be my problem. I am more focused on my construction currently. If anyone has the man power and we could find somebody like treepres1, I would be willing to get what we need. I was thinking a RG50 or 90 Rayco stumper and a log truck. I was thinking of also a tub. I don't own these items but have them available to purchase. One of those spend money to make money ideas.

So let me get this straight. You guys are looking for companys to come down and with there equipment and work? How would you know the boundaries between wiped out areas and minor hit areas? Can someone maybe make it a little more clear. Thank you.

Gentlemen, I'm in Houston, which is roughly a 3.5 hour drive to NO. I'll gladly help in any way that I can. I have 3 running saws, can possibly get another 3 running, but I would need to purchase some bars & spare chains. My usefulness would be limited to ground work. I would possibly loan some saws to the right person, but that would have to be discussed in detail.

Take care, and be safe.

I wish i could ship me,my crew and my kit over to NEW ORLEANS,i could be there in under 3 weeks !! :angry: dam laws and borders !!!

ROLLACOSTA said:
I wish i could ship me,my crew and my kit over to NEW ORLEANS,i could be there in under 3 weeks !! :angry: dam laws and borders !!!

my thoughts exactly rolla, ive got a grapple truck, forwarder, skidsteer, etc.
not exactly busy in the UK either :rolleyes:

If you folks over seas really want to kick in I would recommend talking to the local US embassy or your own govt officials and volunteer your services and equip....... god knows it would make for great press.

Brian

Well I have talked to guys from my company and I would really consider heading sout to help in the disaster relief efforts. Who do I contact to get down there and find out what I need to do? I have put my name on the TCIA list but she said no one has called yet needing help. So anyone got any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks everyone.

Why is everyone talking about New Orleans? New Orleans is under water, folks. Think MS or AL-they have lots of trees down but not the flooding issues.
Just got off the phone with FEMA rep and he said Search and Rescue will be ongoing for the next couple of weeks and clean up will follow. Keep your powder dry.
Good buddy worked Andrew down in Florida and made good money despite having to replace numerous stolen tools. If it ain't bolted down its going to grow legs!

Hey Greg,

Who did you contact about going down there? How do you know where to go and how do you get paid? Were you able to find any of that out?

GICON said:
DilTree and I are going down together. Crane, Bucket, Log Truck...We'll figure it all out when we get down there....

I thought you were going to work for someone else?

I am a Ct liscenced arborist. I just got layed off tues. by a failing upstart company (bad move on my part). I am a climber with many saws, ropes, some rigging gear, and climbing gear. I already carry my own liab. policy. I am 24, no kids, no mortgage, and single. Tell me where to go. Or maybe I can hook up with other New Englanders heading down there. Private message me. I want to help.

hey guys planning on heading down fri but if you guys from the north are going sooner or later might wait or leave early to caravan down with ya.
bringing 1 bucket grapple truck and 2 crewcab fords i pulling camper the other a trailer with 70 gals of gas and 110 gals of diesel lots neccesary stuff ive got 5 of my crew going trying to get a game plan set up but we are forsure rolling south. get ahold of me guys would like to partner up, im not ging down to step on other peoples toes so to speak.
cell is 319-795-1452
email at da1walsh @ hotmail.com (no spaces)
D.J. Walsh
Precision Tree Choppers
i live were ia, il, mo all meet right on the mississippi

I applaud all of you.

The job is going to be anything but easy. This is a great oportunity to harness the cohesion we have as the looseknit 'fraternal order of treeguys', to put ourselves out there in great numbers and do what professionals do.

I'm with treeseer. Make a case to salvage and save trees when and if you can.

If you go, go prepared. And remember, on this Storm, there is no destination, only a journey.

money

I have a crew 4-5 wanting to head south. Hopefully this isn't taken in greed but like all good business practices one must know what kind of money income are we are looking at and who is footing the bill. I am guessing there is some sort of common rate. Can anyone advise.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back