Hurricane Clean-UP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pistol pete said:
If you want to come camp in a hurricane zone plan on doing it in a parking lot. Most of the camp sites we have come in contact with were devastated by fallen trees and unusable.

I agree with Pistol Pete. We checked out McCleod State Park in Bay St. Louis when we were out delivering supplies one day, trying to find camping sites for other tree workers to come down. FEMA had commandered the park and was moving in trailers for their people to live in. Other campgrounds I saw had "Full" signs.

We stayed with a family in Picayune and did some work for them. They helped us find other folks who needed work while we were there.

And A/C is vital...after working all day in 97 degrees, a shower and A/C was a blessing.

strom work

hey everyone have been very buszzy.we currently hold the contract for the city of new orleans,have for the last 8 years.still working on some final details.have plenty of work.will post needs soon.you may call 504 466 6060 or email.thanks :)

Thank you treepres. Are you interested in offering direct referrals to our out-of-town arborists?

We have plenty of guys still wanting to come down, but they are apprehensive in that many just don't want to come down 'cold' and start knocking on doors. If they knew they had a line of jobs pre-arranged, this would be the deciding factor.

These men will have the question of how the money works. We'd be greatful for your taking your valuable time to offer us more information, otherwise (as I can attest) you will be getting a line of calls, all asking for essentially the same information. Posting here gets it all on the table for all to see.

We want to help, but we want to be organized and prepared so we can best offer what we are able. This site has been the logistical center for a good many crew and the information from down within 'the zone' has been exceedingly helpful. We look forward to your reply.

Last edited:
In the meantime, back to camping, I spent a lot of time googling campsites in southern Mississippi in an attempt to get phone numbers so I could bring back direct from the source information. Big surprise that the phone service to all my calls were either not in service or just rang endlessly. Without my talking to someone direct, I just can't offer information that's worth anything.

I'll refer back to the state Atlas and Gazeteer again as a prime source of campsite locations as well as highly detailed navigation. I went to three places up here in Indiana to find a Mississippi Atlas and Gazeteer, but the need for them is so light that they are not stocked. They could order one for me, but my intent was not to buy one, but to photograph the couple pages I needed and post them for you.

I have the Atlas and Gazeteer for seven other states and thought to post the camping section from one of them to show you, as an example, how it works, but you guys need the real deal. I did not special order the book as my personal resources are very thin right now. About all I have to offer is time. I hope you can respect that.

Our thanks goes out to those who are offering information on accomodations down there. Information from the inside is highly appreciated and any more is welcomed.

Hey Folks,
I've found that hiring in a local and trading work for camping is a good move.
I returned home yesterday to tighten up on some work here ....and see the wife and kid. heading back in a few days.
be safe
peace,
boo

I'd like to help the Canadian guys. I want you Northern guys to know I'm still seeking info on what your Visa requirements would be. I think if you guys want to help, we guys down here will help dial you in. The north gulf beach area is actually a really great place to spend the Winter, epecially if you are able to support yourself for two or three months, and there's no doubt about that if you're an above-average climber. If you're a below-average climber you'd probably be an above-average climber by the time it's over.

That's a really excellent plan if you could make it happen. Stay tuned.

I'm still in Kc. My brother's uncle's and fathers' companies all went though. They've been gone nearly 4 weeks and are about to move to another area. They're all running claw trucks and from what i hear making a killing. I'm trying to put a truck together myself that way i can head down as soon as things slow up here. From what they've been telling me they expect to be down there 6-12 more months...

TJ, what kind of stuff are you wanting to get together, and how long until you slow up up here?? I'm getting fairly interested in going, but my help is all pretty lazy, so when you get serious about going let me know. If you are interested in teaming up with anyone we'll have to see what we can work out. I have a skidsteer, lots of climbing gear, a bunch of saws, and a little knowledge. Oh, and I'm use to working 14 hour days.

Sounds great, I'll keep it in mind. I'm backed up two weeks right now and the phone rings more often than i would like(sounds weird doesn't it). I'm working on putting a log truck together or finding a quality used one. Once i get that taken care of and sort out the minors i'll be ready to rock and roll, I know you could definitely be an asset w/ the skid steer and ability to supervise. When things come together i'll let you know. I've still got your number unless it's changed. PM if so..

That's the spirit, guys!

There's been so many of you who've called me and all have a similar line in common - you want to go down there, but you want to know where and how much available tree work is there, and where to go to get it, and who's cutting you a check and when.

That seems to be the over-riding apprehension on the part of everyone who WANTS to go down there, but hasn't. You need a point man down there that can point you to the jobs. This guy would be able to determine if a 2 man, 4 man or 6-man team would be needed. If you are a single arborist climber, the Point Man would find you a team.

Many of you have asked about getting a contract with FEMA. We all know that's sorta not a really great idea. What I see we need is a Point Man who has a FEMA contract and can be hiring you.

Think about it. The government is offering HUGE contracts to firms that say they can get things cleaned up. The firm gets the huge contract, then the work begins. Huge Firm hires contractors that hire subcontractors. You need to be in that chain. We need a contractor to step forward and express his need for our talent. If he can hire Canadian and Kiwi and Aussie and Brit and American Tree Care, and he can lay out his terms for us to see, we could work with that.

Our Arborists want to know that they'll have work directed their way the day they arrive, and not have to go knocking door to door. Guaranteed work, a point person down there, continued logistics up here, you having a great working Winter vacation this year.

That's what I'm putting out there for we Arborists. Of the over 10,000 visits to this thread in just over a month, there must be a couple lurkers who are dialled into those primary level contracts. I say, if you are hiring, or looking to assemble a rotating lineup of tree guys for the next 6 months or more, I say step into the circle and make yourself be known. All I ask is that you understand, you are putting men's livelihoods on the board. Step up ONLY if you have something serious to offer. We are Tree Care Professionals, and if you have a professional setup, and funding, we can work together. Treat the men right, you have a continuous flow of arborists wanting to help. Screw any of us around, word will get back here fast and you will have lost credibility, your certain source of arborists and our central support.

There. It's been put out there as a want and a need. Let the universe work it's magic.

Cards on the table

I'm a climber, been one for about 25+ years. Some of my methods are a little old fashioned, but I get the job done with the least amount of damage to trees, etc. I can do. I worked power lines for quite awhile, and have run my own business for the last 13 years. I would be very willing to go to the area and help with the clean'up, but I can't do it without making a profit. I need to cover what I would lose up here, and of course feed my family while I am gone. My business here has run into several losses, and financially we need to make a desperation attempt to recover. In bulk climbing I can keep up with alot of "kids" half my age, I can run pretty much any machine you put me on, and learn fast.
I would gladly go under someone else, or in partnership with them, or sub-contract for them....but financially, I can not do it by myself. I also have a couple of able-bodied ground men with experience on a saw, chipper, etc.
I have PM'd a couple of people, but at this time I am looking for an offer.
By the way, I am an honest man, and do not believe in competing with or joining forces with the vultures I see after every storm up here, that rip people off. Maybe if I was that sort of person I would not be in the financial straight I am in now, but I am not going to change.

oldugly

I'm getting ready to go. Just got boom truck and DOT registration, etc.

What are your requirments pay etc.

I will be leaving next week.

spike-columbia said:
I'm getting ready to go. Just got boom truck and DOT registration, etc.

What are your requirments pay etc.

I will be leaving next week.

Spike? Did you get your DOT#'s online?

DOT online

Yes you can get your DOT online-

You must keep a copy of On line Paper in Truck - until they mail cards, etc.

SCDOT - said exemption for trucks (in-state) crossing other states has expired.

Please post if you have any information.

Hey you guys from SC. I'm in Pensacola Fl tonight and going to New Orleans tomorrow to talk to a Fema general contractor. Are any of you guys going down any time soon? Call me at 843-816-1323 if you would like to try to join up. I'll post tomorrow night what I find out when I get back.

Standing By,
TreeBob

Back