Huskee 22 ton 6.5 HP log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NapalmDeath

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a Huskee 22 ton 6.5 HP Briggs & Stratton log splitter for occaisional homeowner use, splitting only a cord or two per year of mostly red oak trees with diameters between 8"-24" and lengths of about 20". I was wondering if anyone has experience with this particular machine. One reason I ask is because I rented a log splitter recently that had difficulty splitting the 24" pieces. I was only able to split them by positioning them on their very edges and taking small slices off at a time. I don't want to buy a log splitter that is not going to be able to split 24" pieces. I called the rental business yesterday to ask how many tons and HP their log splitters are rated for and was told they are 10 ton with 10 HP motors. So I assume that a new 22 ton splitter shouldn't have any problems splitting 24" red oak?

I have used the 22 ton model in Oak, Pecan and Misquite in Texas. No problems with any but the largest (36-48") rounds.

When it came time for me to buy one, I purchased the 35 tom model. There has been nothing that I am not able to split or cut through.

Hal

hmmmm!! You might be on to something there cause I push on the governer spring when i come across something thats hard to split and crack ...she splits! Talking about my chitty 22 Ton husky!

So how would the log splitter I rented compare in performance with it's 10 HP motor but only 10 tons of force to the 6.5 HP Huskee with 22 tons of force. What I'm trying to determine is if the Huskee will perform better than the rental companys machine I used.

in the market to purchase a log splitter too. so I've been trying to follow these type threads.

folks seems to be posting, don't trust tons ratings. go by diameter of ram instead.

So which is better? with a budget of under $1,500...

an older used large tonage unit VS buying a new model like harbor freight 35 ton unit

NapalmDeath said:
So how would the log splitter I rented compare in performance with it's 10 HP motor but only 10 tons of force to the 6.5 HP Huskee with 22 tons of force. What I'm trying to determine is if the Huskee will perform better than the rental companys machine I used.

I bet they are about the same if not the rental unit might be more powerful. The husky units ARE not true tonnage it's all about marketing! Kinda like when you compare bringgs and stratton engines to honda engines. They have different ways of finding there numbers. At least the japs are honest with what they sell.

The 22 ton husky is more than you will ever need for home use. I have one and have split 36" oak rounds amazingly well. It will split a bigger piece than you can maneuver under it. If it can't then there is something wrong with that particular unit since mine does fine. Here is some proof:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=31851&page=3

Check out the picture in my post near the middle of this page.

I have split several of the pin oak logs up with the 22 ton Husky.

Big Woody said:
The 22 ton husky is more than you will ever need for home use. I have one and have split 36" oak rounds amazingly well. It will split a bigger piece than you can maneuver under it. If it can't then there is something wrong with that particular unit since mine does fine. Here is some proof:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=31851&page=3

Check out the picture in my post near the middle of this page.

I have split several of the pin oak logs up with the 22 ton Husky.
Well, you sold me. I believe I'll be buying a 22 ton Huskee soon.

If mine was stolen, I would buy another identical one tomorrow. It has more than enough splitting power. I have split up many 36"+ logs sectioned into 18-24 inches in length with no problem. I have split some locust and hackberry trees around 24 inches diameter and it just laughs at those litte guys. I also split up a 40" silver Maple this spring as well.

The only few times I have stalled it was in one of those huge trunk pieces with knots/crotches in it. In those few cases you have to either cut it in half with a chainsaw or put 4 to 5 wedges into it and still cut part of it.

NapalmDeath said:

HP rating doesnt really have anything to do with workable tonnage. Your tonnage rating comes from the max pressure your pump will put out, and size of your cylinder.

The HP on your motor relates more to the GPM rating of the pump, generally 1/2 horse per GPM is the minimum. I have an 8 horse with a 16gpm pump and 4.5" cylinder, and it has split anything ive thrown at it only using half throttle.

Thanks for all of the info. I was at Sears a couple of days ago and was looking at their logsplitter. It was a Craftsman 27 ton with a 6.5 HP Briggs & Stratton for $1300. Same price as the Huskee 27 ton 6.5 HP. Anyone know who makes the Craftsman logsplitters? Though I'll probably go with the Huskee 22 ton, I'm curious who makes the Craftsman splitters.

I own an MTD 21 ton with a 6.5 Tecumseh engine. It has split everything I need to split including some old 24 to 30 inch oak that has been cured for a number of years.

For casual homeowner use, it's just fine.

Have a Huskee 22 ton

I have a Huskee 22 ton splitter and it works great splitting anything I need split.
Sure beats the heck out of a splitting maul!:laugh:

Hiwayherbie said:
I have a Huskee 22 ton splitter and it works great splitting anything I need split.
Sure beats the heck out of a splitting maul!:laugh:
That sounds good to me. I'm getting too old to want to split everything with a maul.

Last year I purchased a Troy Built (MTD) from Lowe's. It is a 27 ton with a 5.5hp Honda on it for $1299. There has been NOTHING I have thrown at it that it did not split with ease.

I have one. I can't see where I would ever need anything more. It handles everything i've thrown at it.

Latest posts

Back