Huskee 35T filter reroute

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

all go no show

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The filter on my Huskee 35 is before the pump. Has anyone redone the plumbing so the pump sucks right out of the tank and move the filter to the top of the tank so it filters on the return? Any change in cycle time?

A vast majority of hydraulic systems are designed so the oil is filtered on the return side so there is unrestricted flow to the pump. If anything is used before the pump it is a higher micron screen to catch anything big. I was simply going to remove the filter and filter base from the suction line and put it on the return side. Anything in the oil (except dirt when I open the fill plug) will most likely come from something after the pump, in which case the filter will catch before going back to tank and being recirculated. I was just wondering if anyone has done this and if it sped up the cycle time by the pump not having to pull through a filter.

Yes, bought it new. I guess it's one of those things I never really paid much attention to til now. It's been inherently SLOW since we've had it. I'm just thinking of an easy way to speed it up a little until I can build a better one.

That seems odd, to me.

Anyway, yes I would definitely put it on the return. We had a home made one here once that the guy who built it also did that. It didn't seem to take much to make it cavitate and make all kinds of complaining noises, there is likely some restriction there with even a new filter - not sure what pulling on a filter vs. pushing into it does to the element & material inside. Whole new splitter after moving it.

There are pros and cons of running the filter in the suction side .. the correctly sized housing and filter type will only restrict flow a minute amount and offers a high level of protection for a pricy pump. With that being said a inlet side filter can cause real trouble if there’s any aeration problems with your system , the worst cavitation I’ve ever seen was on powerunits with inlet-side filter housings.

Some manufacturers like suction strainers and return line filters because the believe that the hottest oil in the system is where the filtration needs to happen.

suction side will have 100 mesh screen it will not have an actual micron element because it can’t move enough flow through without a pressure drop restriction that causes cavitation.

when it’s used on the return side you can have a 10 to 20 pounds differential pressure forcing fluid through so it’s typically a 10 µm fiberglass element on the spin on can
suction side also should be a lot larger in area.

I would definitely not recommend having any suction strainer or screen or filter on the suction side

it won’t change the flow unless it’s serious cavitation at which point the concern isn’t flow the concern is you’re gonna eventually destroy the pump. gear pumps are more tolerant of cavitation then piston pumps but it still eventually will destroy the pump

Finally got around to moving the filter to the return side. Everything works as it should and I cut about 6 seconds off the cycle time. 6 seconds is a huge gain in my opinion. No problem Running through some 20" oak yesterday.

Same filter. Just changed it about a month ago. Sorry no pics, and I brought it to my father in law's for him to use for awhile. When I get it back to fix everything the knuckle heads he has working for him broke, I'll try and remember to get a picture.

6 seconds is huge. I wouldn't have expected that much with the same clean filter. Good to hear though.

Back