ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Huskee, Speeco, Blount wood splitter cylinder

bigg2

bigg2

I have a Huskee 22 ton log splitter with bad cylinder seals. It is a 4 inch bore x 1.75 inch shaft 24 inch stroke 3500 psi rated seals. I need to know where i can buy the seal kit as an aftermarket replacement one. I cannot afford the 100 dollars Speeco asked me for it today. I need one around 30 dollars or less if possible. Also, if anyone knows of a video showing how to rebuild this one in particular because it was very hard to get the piston out of the end of the cylinder, so, i need to know how to put it back in without damaging any of the seals. Do they have a way to have some kind of insert to go around the piston to get it past the inner cut of the cylinder? I can buy a new one for 189 but if i can put some good aftermarket seals in then i could save it. Please advise me if you have any knowledge about this.

GaryPC

GaryPC

I have a 5” bore and 2” shaft DHT 35-ton cylinder I overheated to 230’F and the seals failed. I got new seal kit from Tool-Tuff on EBay for $30, which is also available from Amazon. The cylinder replacement cost is $389 so I figure it is best use the money to get the tools to replace the seals myself.
I have not yet worked the details on how to do this, fortunately I split 4 cords before the seals failed.
Which raises the issue of why it overheated. Ans: There were 3 of us loading gnarly oak rounds running the piston continuously. But even by myself it gets hot quickly. Adding cooling or reservoir capacity is another project. Considering I paid $1500 for a 35-ton splitter I cannot complain!

GaryPC

GaryPC

As this is an arborists site it has limited information on this, questions from newbies can understandably fall on deaf ears. For information on rebuilding hydraulic cylinders there are better channels on YouTube to look at such as Tractor Mike or websites such as Degelman.

eric_271

eric_271

ArboristSite King
I have a Huskee 22 ton log splitter with bad cylinder seals. It is a 4 inch bore x 1.75 inch shaft 24 inch stroke 3500 psi rated seals. I need to know where i can buy the seal kit as an aftermarket replacement one. I cannot afford the 100 dollars Speeco asked me for it today. I need one around 30 dollars or less if possible. Also, if anyone knows of a video showing how to rebuild this one in particular because it was very hard to get the piston out of the end of the cylinder, so, i need to know how to put it back in without damaging any of the seals. Do they have a way to have some kind of insert to go around the piston to get it past the inner cut of the cylinder? I can buy a new one for 189 but if i can put some good aftermarket seals in then i could save it. Please advise me if you have any knowledge about this.
Do a search in your area for a supplier of rings and seals. In Wichita Kansas we have crown supply. I always take the barrel, rod and piston with me so all can be measured right on the parts counter insuring I get the correct size rings and seals. My experience has always been seal replacement is easy. Installing the new rings not so much. I always put the rings in hot soapy water prior to assembly. Helps stretch the Teflon rings back onto ring groove and also helps compressing the ring as the piston is reinserted into the barrel. Check barrel for scratch’s and ball hone lightly to break glaze and smooth scratches from debris . Work fast, the rings don’t hold heat very long.

sonny580

sonny580

ArboristSite Operative
An old thread I know, but might help someone else down the road. -- I just did 3"x 28" on my old Case 1530 skidloader and have done all of the cylinders on my old 580ck backhoe and the design of them is decent and makes the job easier.
If you get cylinders apart ---- putting them back together usually is not too hard. You can use a ring compressor for engine rings if you want too. ---I just carefully wiggle them back together. ---spin and wiggle usually does the trick.
another thing that will work as a sleeve is a hard thin piece of water or pop bottle wrapped around the piston being careful starting everything . make sure the piston and outer shell is lined up square and solid before attempting to put it together and it is easier if you have help holding things down.
cost of kits for my skidloader were $110. for each cylinder.---most are not cheap and you dont want aftermarket kits!--trust me on that!--been there, dont that,---then redid the cylinder with factory kits---no more problems!
on the overheating---- you do NOT have a big enough res. on your splitter. --- also running the pump hot will destroy it as well as the cylinder.
I run a 15 gallon tank on my homemade splitter and even it will get hot, but not so hot that you cant hold your hand on it.
Another thing to check is the valve and make sure it's set right. --- too much or too little pressure will cause problems on them.