husky 266 xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mama

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me a Husqvarna 266 xp that must of been straight gassed. The cylinder I dont think I can save, pretty good groves in it. The rest of the saw looks good. I'm thinking getting an aftermarket cylinder kit for it. What do you guys think ?.

My " XP " runs like a champ. Bought it new. Find a quality top end kit and run it. The one concern I have is how much straight gas was run through. The saw might look good but who cares. The internals is what makes it run. The bottom end bearings need the oil in the mix to stay lubricated. May be the previous owner ran it carb lean (over rev) and caused the damage

Last edited:
Does Meteor make a big bore kit for it? I have a 266XP also and am thinking about a BB kit. But mine's not been straight gassed. I just want more power.

Clean up the existing cylinder and run it. A few grooves below the cylinder wall surface won't hurt anything. You might a lose a slight amount of compression, but the saw will rip with the oem cylinder. You could gain some compression by removing the base gasket and replacing it with sealant. Check your squish after, but these saws will have enough room to eliminate the base gasket.

Does Meteor make a big bore kit for it? I have a 266XP also and am thinking about a BB kit. But mine's not been straight gassed. I just want more power.

I believe Meteor makes a 52mm BB kit. The 266xp is 50mm stock.

If you are going to hone the cylinder and use the original piston you should also replace the bearing and rings.

The only P&C that would be considered a big bore would be the 272 kit. Would require the different intake block and gaskets and likely some interference with the spark plug and top cover. Easy items to over come. OEM 266 cylinders are NLA, but if there are decent aftermarket ones out there I'd go that route as the 266 configuration is a good running saw.

But as already mentioned, most aftermarket cylinders fall short of OEM in heavy use situations. That fact is often distorted here because so many of us own so many saws that we don't put as much run time on a saw as someone who only owns one or two saws.

The only P&C that would be considered a big bore would be the 272 kit. Would require the different intake block and gaskets and likely some interference with the spark plug and top cover. Easy items to over come. OEM 266 cylinders are NLA, but if there are decent aftermarket ones out there I'd go that route as the 266 configuration is a good running saw.

But as already mentioned, most aftermarket cylinders fall short of OEM in heavy use situations. That fact is often distorted here because so many of us own so many saws that we don't put as much run time on a saw as someone who only owns one or two saws.

Thanks. I might look into that.

je

When I was looking for a 266 cylinder I posted up in the trading post section. I had a cylinder in less than a week.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

Back