Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

man with saw

Reaction score
Bought a local 272xp from a small engine shop (husky dealer) after lurking here a week .
Owner said it has new piston and spark plug (probably more new parts), compression of 140. The fuel filter and line look new.

First day it died when idling. Second day I ran it for an hour till out of gas, it seemed hot. Ran ten minutes though willow and it didn't want to work full through, felt weak, eventually died.
Set H and L idles to 1.5 turns today Chain spin slowly while idling, died after 15 seconds

Pulled the muffler piston looks okay, maybe, cylinder might have scoring on back.

Where should I start on a diagnosis without a compression tester? Any tips helpful, thanks for reading

well with out a comp gauge pull should be pretty hard with out the decomp puched in...you checked the piston and it doesn't seem to be scored so I would ck for good spark ck the fuel line to make sure fuel is getting to the carb....ck the wire to the kill switch to make sure its not grounded some place ...place to start anyway...

good luck

sap can

Very hard to do diagnostics without a comp tester and a vac/pressure pump From what your saying it sounds like you may have an air leak somewhere. Or you might have a fuel delivery /carb problem. (not enough fuel too much air) Or possibly the other end of the system. pull the starter side cover pull the kill wire off the coil see if you have spark. if yes put the wire on again. kill in run position. check spark if (no) you have a kill wire shorted somewhere (Yes) put starter cover back on. start saw let it run till it quits. check spark (yes) look elsewhere your ignition is probably ok (no) you probably have a failing coil. Look into finding a new one. Might want to pull the flywheel and check the key just to make sure the spark is where it should be but it doesn't sound like that is your problem

Wayne

Agree with wayne. If it's hot without working hard, it's probably running lean. Struggling to idle is also a sign of running a poor mixture. You probably have a vacuum leak somewhere. Why diagnose yourself? Take it back to the shop

Back