husky 3120 or 395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 3120 is a beast of a saw. its too heavy to safely fell trees with if your not super strong. i used our companies 3120 to fell some massive 90' cook pines yesterday and let me tell you, i was wishing i had my 394xp the whole time. it really sucked having to lug that thing around with me all day. unless your running over a 42" bar DO NOT BUY IT its just too heavy. if the largest bar is under 42" then stick with the 395xp or even a 390xp.

the 3120 is a beast of a saw. its too heavy to safely fell trees with if your not super strong. i used our companies 3120 to fell some massive 90' cook pines yesterday and let me tell you, i was wishing i had my 394xp the whole time. it really sucked having to lug that thing around with me all day. unless your running over a 42" bar DO NOT BUY IT its just too heavy. if the largest bar is under 42" then stick with the 395xp or even a 390xp.

Well said. I lugged one up and down mountains (you would probably only call them "hills" in the US :D) for a couple of weeks felling in Tasmania (Australia). Some people assume you can get used to using these saws on a constant basis but in this case I was actually physically wrecked after two weeks, my saw fitness DID NOT improve.
After I got back home from that trip I hated (but respected my 3120) and swore I'd sell it. Now we love each other again but I know my limitations now :)

all around they are powerfull. its kinda like, you wouldent buy a 6.0 liter ford F350 diesel if all your doing is hauling tools right? those things are meant for pulling and towing large trailers hence the huge fuel guzzling engines. 3120's were built for the largest of wood and the longest of bars. a 390xp is more of what you want if your felling trees 30" diameter and under. just make sure you keep that chain sharp! as with all saws.

well now you have a beast to be proud of sir!! :D make sure he gets nourished well and regular inspections for ticks and fleas. those husqys tend to get dirty real quick and hide alot of filth! oh and tell him "good buy" from time to time and treat him with ethonal free fluids and amsoil. :laugh:

The 395xp is certainly a hoss. I've got a 2002 model running a 28". It's tough on me using it very long, as it likes to devour BIG wood. It's actually the fastest accelerating saw I've owned and it's bone stock. I can't imagine running a 3120.

Last edited:
The 120cc category saws are far from being items of junk but the 880's and 3120's do usually have more terminal failures than their small alternatives. I sometimes wonder if it is because they are generally being proved helpful difficult and that people are operating 50:1 oil prices when operating them difficult...

Latest posts

Back