Husky 3120XP 50" Bar - Best Chain/Bar Gauge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IslandLife

Reaction score
Hello,

I've just purchased a 50" .058 gauge Cannon Superbar for my 3120. I'm going to run .375 pitch ripping chain on this setup. I've done lots of Alaska Milling with my smaller set up but do you think this is a good gauge/pitch setup for this length of bar? I was considering going .404 and getting an .063 but I wanted to keep my kerf down and my speeds up. Will my set up be strong enough for the 3120? I haven't had a chance to try it out (away at work and still waiting for delivery.)

Bars and gauge/pitch are coming up a lot lately.

Personally, I run a .063 .404 with a 36”bar on a 3120 as my main setup.
I’m mostly cutting big timbers out of fir, hem, and cedar.... not very many cuts per log to lose from multiple kerfs.
If I was milling 1.5”- 2” planks out of everything it might be different plan.
There are guys running 3/8lp on long bars for milling quite successfully...

The .063 bar groove/DL’s carry more oil and the 3120 is happy to oblige.
My Longer bar is 62” .063 3/8 and the 3120 just about oils it in standard oiling position and when you flip that oil boost lever it oils it and everything in the area..... jk

Bars and gauge/pitch are coming up a lot lately.

Personally, I run a .063 .404 with a 36”bar on a 3120 as my main setup.
I’m mostly cutting big timbers out of fir, hem, and cedar.... not very many cuts per log to lose from multiple kerfs.
If I was milling 1.5”- 2” planks out of everything it might be different plan.
There are guys running 3/8lp on long bars for milling quite successfully...

The .063 bar groove/DL’s carry more oil and the 3120 is happy to oblige.
My Longer bar is 62” .063 3/8 and the 3120 just about oils it in standard oiling position and when you flip that oil boost lever it oils it and everything in the area..... jk

Thanks Andy.

Yeah I do mostly 2"-3" slabs. Fir, cedar and maple. 36" a bit narrow for my wood. I probably should have gone .404 .063 but oh well. Just gotta set it up and see how it goes I guess. Hope it wasn't a poor investment but I think it'll work.

3/8 is good pitch. .063 is better gauge. It oils better. There is no difference in width of kerf or chain speed between the two as the cutters are the same. If I already had that bar I would run it. If I was buying a bar it'd be .063 gauge. It simply gives you more options and you are able to run 404, 3/8, or .325 if you really wanted to.

Beyond loss of material, don't think 404 would be a problem for a 3120 as it is a beast. I know people that mill with a 72" .404 setup with a stock ms880 and they are pigs compared to a 3120.

Chain will be plenty strong. You could run 3/8 picco and it would be ok. Of course you'd have to find the bar and sprockets, and those are hard to come by in those lengths and for that saw. There was a guy around here that was modifying other sprockets to be able to run 3/8 picco on his large husqies. Bar is easy if it is double ended and has a helper handle. Long picco bar with sprocket is the rarity.

Long story short, run what you got... it'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back