husky 346 differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, as soon as I get my refund from a sour deal on a 260 from ebay, I'm buying a 346 from nmurph. Yoou guys twisted my arm! Lol.

Think of a small car that defined it's generation. 240z, perhaps. This is a 280z. Small and fast. If you happen to know how to drive, then it only gets better. I like my Stihls. Something very workmanlike about them. But I don't own a Stihl that will go down as one of the best saws ever. I do own a Husky that will...

Think of a small car that defined it's generation. 240z, perhaps. This is a 280z. Small and fast. If you happen to know how to drive, then it only gets better. I like my Stihls. Something very workmanlike about them. But I don't own a Stihl that will go down as one of the best saws ever. I do own a Husky that will...

That's very appropriate; I owned a bought a new 280ZX in 1980!!! It sits at my farm waiting on me to find the time to restore it!!

I had a '79 RX7. Loved it, although the self changing oil was annoying.

Restore it. Or send it up here. I know a few street corners in the Bronx that will have that bad boy mint in no time. You can order plants, trees, anything. I miss that place...lol

Guys, I'm interested in buying a 346 husky, and wanted to know of what I sbould look out for and what the differences are between the 346xp, 346ne, and 346oe and any other 346 that husky might make. Any model in particular thats better suited to muffler mods and porting? I plan on doing these mods to it.

Have both new and old on truck and both have muffler mod awsome saws

Well guys, as soon as my refund is received today, I get to pay nmurph for the 346 and then its all mine...:) I can't wait to test cut with it.

My NE is stock :msp_w00t:

My OE is ported and I still get a little 4 stroking at 15,500. But it seems to cut best when set at 14,800-14,900. I plan to put a 50cc top-end on it at some point, but can't kill the old 45cc one. This thing has an ugly port job and a ton of hours on it, but just keeps on cuttin. :D

Last edited:
I've done a little google searching this morning on the 346 and never read one bad thing about the 346. The news just keeps getting better and now I'm super stoked to get this thing. Man I wish I wasn't working now and that I was rather doing some 346 test cuts. Ugh...that refund can't come soon enough.

The 346 is soon to be replaced by the 550 so the new 346's will be fading away into the sun set. There are a lot of 346's out there so used ones will be here and there for several years to come.

The 346 is soon to be replaced by the 550 so the new 346's will be fading away into the sun set. There are a lot of 346's out there so used ones will be here and there for several years to come.

I'm thinking that Husky is making a mistake if the 550 gains an ounce or doesn't have more power. The 555/560/562 are replacement for good saws, not great saws. Husky may make the same mistake that Stihl made when the 440 was replaced. I know that was supposedly done to make the EPA happy, but the fact that they ended up returning the 440 to the line-up says alot about the reputation of that saw. It was a great balance of power, weight, and handling, in a dependable package. The same can be said of the 346, and replacing it with anything less is a misstep in my book.

I'm thinking that Husky is making a mistake if the 550 gains an ounce or doesn't have more power. The 555/560/562 are replacement for good saws, not great saws. Husky may make the same mistake that Stihl made when the 440 was replaced. I know that was supposedly done to make the EPA happy, but the fact that they ended up returning the 440 to the line-up says alot about the reputation of that saw. It was a great balance of power, weight, and handling, in a dependable package. The same can be said of the 346, and replacing it with anything less is a misstep in my book.

:agree2:, the 346xp is much harder to improve much upon than the 357xp was.

I am in no hurry to get the 550xp, but was with the 560xp......

I'm going to wait patiently for my warranty to go, then I'll get an unlimited coil and mod the muffler on my 346XP NE. I'm just playing it safe. If you get a used saw that's already been worked over, you'll really be getting a much better saw than a brand new 346XP NE, and for less money. I think nmurph has a good one like that for sale.

Yes and no. He still has it,but it's not for sale because I bought it this morning. :rock:

He has the other two left though. :msp_biggrin:

Just got my refund on a POS over rated 260 saw and just sent the payment to nmurph for a wonderful highly talked about 346xp. Can't wait to get that saw from you Neil!! :rock:

Watch what you say!

I would have took any 50cc pro saw for the money I bought mine for, new. That being said it sounds like the 346 has the best following but the 026/260 has the longest following, and the 5100 has a select following. I own a 5100 and love it, never ran a 260 or a 346 soooo....it is what I know. They all have there disappointments, as seen here http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/189756.htm

I have a 026 and a 346xp ne, none of my freinds went out and bought a new ms 260, I think 4 or 5 people that i cut with now have 346xp's...

Back