Husky 372xp or Stihl ms441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems your the only one to think that way. Whats that got to do with a 372 or 441 anyway? :help:

When you have issues with the 372 or 441 the only place to go is the dealer or the factory and stihl in my last experience was the worst, I was reluctant to call them with the issues.

I have another clearing coming up and will be using a Husky and a Mac, I will be going into town to replace the stihl.

The stihl will be sitting until it is sold or traded, I dread the day I would need to get parts for the stihl and the need to contact stihl.

This thread has gone to more emotion than

Also, the dealer in your area that gives the best service and appreciates your business should be factored in also.

Hope this helps,
Longwood

emotion has nothing to do with dealer / factory lack of experience and poor service when they are the only source for parts.

emotion has nothing to do with dealer / factory lack of experience and poor service when they are the only source for parts.

I was refering to general brand bashing.
I've read your 361 experience and I'm on your side, If I had the experience you had I wouldn't go back either.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

The reason the 361 is so popular is that it behaves like a 59cc Husky xp would have (except for the air filtration)........

:yourock: :yourock: :yourock:

This must be the post of the year! In the 361, you can almost buy a 262XP, almost.. Not bad Stihl, look at what the number one does and make a decent copy of it.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

The reason the 361 is so popular is that it behaves like a 59cc Husky xp would have (except for the air filtration)........

I call it herd mentality. Nothing about the 361 impresses me.

ND,

Not sure what issues you have had with your 361, but I will say that with break-in and a lakeside style muffler mod it is not the same saw. Mine pulls the 20" bar in hardwoods, bar completely buried really well. My 2171 will not bog as easy, but isn't twice as strong for sure. You can just dog the 2171 in a little more w/o bogging. I really like my 361 pulling 20". I also keep a fresh chain on it. I'm not saying that the 361 is the cats meow, just stating my experience with it.

So far as the 372 vs 441 vs 460..........I've only run a jred 2171 (same as 372), other than that I've only got reading experience here. The only thing that might take the 460 out as an option is if you are sensitive to vibrations as I've read it is not as smooth as the other 2 options. My main reason for getting a 2171 is they and the 372 are said to be leaving the market soon.......the way the 440 did, and I have read the 460 will be discontinued in the near future as well. The 441 will probably still be around for a while. So my choices would be between the 372 and the 460.......can't see getting the same weight saw (441) as the 460 with less power. Personally, I like buying/owning saws with a legendary following.........260, 361, 372, etc. Wish I had a 440, and might get a 460 before they stop making them. When so many love a particular saw that says alot to me. Sure, you are always going to get a handful of people that don't like the "legendary" saws.

But in the end, you need to get what you are comfortable with, and what suits your needs and concerns. Weight, vibration, dealer support, etc. I would also recommend handling the saws you are interested in, and even seeing if your dealer(s) will let you run them as well to see what fits you best.

Waylan

A couple of weeks ago I told my son-in-law about the issues

with the stihl, he said on your way to work throw that stihl POS out the window and never look back.

When you get to work tell the boss your saw is gone and will need to get another, Take the day off and get a real saw from the husky dealer.

I asked so that’s what happen to your saw! No comment was his reply

He’s a young man in the timber industry.

The back bone of any professional equipment is dealer support and the availability of parts.

I had an issue with a concrete pump from Transcrete I called the dealer they said we can send a guy out to fix the pump, you can take it to get fixed, or we can send the part and you can fix it,

I told them they could send the part, same day they had the part delivered from a local hydraulic parts house,

Availability of parts and willingness to work with the customer = good equipment management.

Stihl fails in customer relation.

And since the factory told me it was up to the dealer with 2 weeks training I found them to be just as useless.

I will never own another stihl.

:deadhorse:

Dont get either one! buy a dolmar 7900:hmm3grin2orange: Their that's my biased opinion! if not a Dolmar get a Jred 2171 feels and looks much better than a 372.Same saw as the 372 but with nicer handle and colours;)

with the stihl, he said on your way to work throw that stihl POS out the window and never look back.

When you get to work tell the boss your saw is gone and will need to get another, Take the day off and get a real saw from the husky dealer.

The back bone of any professional equipment is dealer support and the availability of parts.

I had an issue with a concrete pump from Transcrete I called the dealer they said we can send a guy out to fix the pump, you can take it to get fixed, or we can send the part and you can fix it,

I told them they could send the part, same day they had the part delivered from a local hydraulic parts house,

Availability of parts and willingness to work with the customer = good equipment management.

And since the factory told me it was up to the dealer with 2 weeks training I found them to be just as useless.

Wonder how much training the Husky dealer has???

Is this your dealer???

FARMERS UNION OIL CO.
215 E. CENTRAL AVE
MINOT , ND 58702

I've never ran the 441. I have a 372 with a 24" bar and it's a great saw good power and weight, very reliable.
It's a popular saw for a reason. The filter does a good job of staying clean.
Someone mention the Dolmar 7900 too. I have a Dolmar and it weights in at 23.5 pounds with a 28" bar. The 372 is 17 or 18 pounds with a 24 inch bar. The Dolmar is a great saw and a fun one to run at that, but the weight differance between the two is huge.
I think a 460 would be worth looking at instead of the 441.

This thread has gone to more emotion than logic.:deadhorse:
It would seem some are more interested in arguing than helping you make a good decision on a saw.

Stihl and Husqvarna both make great saws. I suggest go with pro models that have the best power to weight ratio.

441= 5.5hp @ 14.6lbs
460= 6.0hp @ 14.6lbs
372= 5.3hp @ 13.4lbs

Its a shame the 440 is gone so I won't include it.
I can't see buying a 441 when the 460 has more power at the same weight.
So, for me it would come down to the 372 or 460. Yes, I've ran them both.

Everyone will say thats "apples to oranges" , so the size of the wood your going to be cutting would be the deciding factor.
If your going to cut wood 24" or smaller I would go with the 372.
The 372 really shines cutting 20" wood and is still light enough to do some limbing.
If your going to cut alot of wood larger than 24" I would go with the 460.
The 460 is stronger and will pull 24" and larger bars better.

Also, the dealer in your area that gives the best service and appreciates your business should be factored in also.

Hope this helps,
Longwood

Intelligent post.....

The 372 and 441 are very very close power wise. The 441 has a bit more torque, and uses a little less gas. The 372 is much handier and lighter, IMO. The AV is a wash between the two of them, and the 441 I used seem to keep it's filter cleaner longer than historic Stihls. Pricewise, the 372 is a little bit cheaper than the 441....used to be a lot cheaper until Husky "kind of" shut down internet sales. A different topic......

In my book the 372 is a better bet between it and the 441.

If you need the extra juice, think about the 460 as it is a fair jump above either in power. Even though they vibe a bunch, the 046/460 are great, gutsy saws. If it were me, and I wanted more power than the 70cc saws, I'd take a look at the Dolmar 7900. They are about the same size as a 460, but are more powerful and more comfortable to use.

I own, have owned, and/or used all of the above.

My 660 only weighs 24lbs with a 28" bar.

Something isn't quite right.

Your right. I went a reweight them. I think I need a new scale. It's one of those digital ones.
I came up with 21.5 for the 7900 with a 28" bar, 18.5 for the 372 with a 24" bar and 24.5 for my 066 with a 36" bar.

You can really tell the differance with between the 372 and 7900, but 3 pounds doesn't really bother me (I can use either one all day and have).
But For some people the 3 pounds differance might.

The only fair comparisons are 440 vs. 372 which I peg at just about dead equal but prefer the husky (just my preference), or 575 vs. 441 which the Stihl wins hands down. All of my testing has been done from 7000 to 9500 above sea level, the strato charged motors are dogs up high, and the oldys smoke em bad. They may have them fixed later on but they aren't quite right yet. Just my 2 cents.

Low elevation? Don't know.

You will never own another Stihl, GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. In the biz your what we call a pita, a pain in the azz. Get ya self a new Husky, Dolmar, Mac or anything but a Stihl. Become their pain in the azz, we'd appreciate it. Hows that for customer relations ND? See ND sometimes enuff is enuff. Your story and going back and forth over that saw has run its course. Its gotton old and sometimes its best to just let em go. So get going, have a nice trip, drive safe,:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

You will never own another Stihl, GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. In the biz your what we call a pita, a pain in the azz. Get ya self a new Husky, Dolmar, Mac or anything but a Stihl. Become their pain in the azz, we'd appreciate it. Hows that for customer relations ND? See ND sometimes enuff is enuff. Your story and going back and forth over that saw has run its course. Its gotton old and sometimes its best to just let em go. So get going, have a nice trip, drive safe,:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

lol

Back