Husky 395 break in, how does everyone do it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how the vent is attached, but if it is on a hose look for kinks. Remove the vent and vacuum test again. Follow the system vent to tank for the problem.
I just bought the saw, this was the first time I used it. I’m hoping the company will send me the part or let me know what to do. I saw the schematic it looks like it screws into the tank and has a hose that goes up somewhere. As soon as the dude gives me the ok I’ll tear it down.

IDK, I just start the saw, let it idle for a minute so it’s warm, then beat on it in wood with a good chain. Make sure it’s a bit fat, leave it that way and as it breaks in, the saw will tell you what it wants. It should get fatter and fatter to pint when you want to lean it out.

It’s under warranty right now. It’s designed to cut a lot of wood, just load it good and don’t baby it. It won’t break.

As has been said already run it like you would a broken in saw WOT under a good load you need that pressure to push the rings into the clyinder wall to achieve breaking in of the fresh crosshatched bore marrying the two for the best ring seal.
Breaking in/seating rings in an engine 2T or 4T is the only time in an engine's life metal to metal contact occurs on purpose by design it's meant to happen (rings contacting bore taking down the peaks of the fresh crosshatch).
Low load low revs babying and idling for a few tanks will achieve nothing apart from an unbroken in saw suffering bad blowby down on power and the cylinder wall can't hold oil as designed adding on top even more bad ring seal.
If you mess this up(not a very big window) at the start of a saw's life there is no going back or starting over you are stuck with a lackluster saw
Disclaimer- I'm sure waving a chicken bone at a saw to seat the rings works just fine aswell.
images (71).jpeg

Better check the tank vent before using it again.
Not good if not working correctly. Will cause lean mixture before stalling.
So I got it tore apart, should the vent hold no pressure? If I push it in but not too far it will drop but it holds just a little. So I pump to five it drops pretty quick to zero but there is a little pressure left. Dealer said he will send me a vent no prob.

Can I just empty the tank, take off the fuel line going into the carb and put a vacuum to it? If the vacuum doesn’t release by itself should be the vent?
Yes, make sure the hose and fuel filter are empty(dry).

I see the post's about your tank vent, I've heard this is an issue with the 395 from a few locals, but I have zero hard evidence on that fact besides heresay, so don't quote me on that.

My 394 has been pretty decent, and I have not babied it.
a massive step up from a 455, lol.
Interestingly, when I bought my 394 with a 30+ inch bar my only other working saw was a top handle echo CS3400... I made a huge leap I wasn't quite ready for, lol.
It actually scared me enough at 14 yo to make it spend the next ~ 6 years in a box in my closet partially disassembled while 50+ other saws of various size, make, and model came and went!!

my take on break in;
I personally try to limit how much idling any 2-stroke machine does in its fist few tanks, and also limit any high speed revving outside the wood.
Beyond that, I just pick out a very sharp chain & go to town on the woodpile:)

This is what my grandpa taught me, he cut **** loads of fire wood both to sell and to heat his place, and I still have a couple of his more used up saws that are 50 years old, and 35 years old respectively.
both run & are on the original cylinder with plenty of compression.... too heavy to use regularly, and along with having sentimental value they mostly sit on a shelf in the dinning room now.

me and a couple helpers cut & process on average 60-90 tons of trash logs into firewood a week for a side busness in the fall. Just ended this year... I used 93 gallons with my 661 alone in the 116 days we cut this season!!

Some of my favorite work saws have 2500 documented hours, cutting & idling, & still perform very nicely on the original cylinder... My approach seems to be working as far as I'm concerned.

I see the post's about your tank vent, I've heard this is an issue with the 395 from a few locals, but I have zero hard evidence on that fact besides heresay, so don't quote me on that.

Interestingly, when I bought my 394 with a 30+ inch bar my only other working saw was a top handle echo CS3400... I made a huge leap I wasn't quite ready for, lol.
It actually scared me enough at 14 yo to make it spend the next ~ 6 years in a box in my closet partially disassembled while 50+ other saws of various size, make, and model came and went!!

my take on break in;
I personally try to limit how much idling any 2-stroke machine does in its fist few tanks, and also limit any high speed revving outside the wood.

This is what my grandpa taught me, he cut **** loads of fire wood both to sell and to heat his place, and I still have a couple of his more used up saws that are 50 years old, and 35 years old respectively.
both run & are on the original cylinder with plenty of compression.... too heavy to use regularly, and along with having sentimental value they mostly sit on a shelf in the dinning room now.

me and a couple helpers cut & process on average 60-90 tons of trash logs into firewood a week for a side busness in the fall. Just ended this year... I used 93 gallons with my 661 alone in the 116 days we cut this season!!

Some of my favorite work saws have 2500 documented hours, cutting & idling, & still perform very nicely on the original cylinder... My approach seems to be working as far as I'm concerned.

93 gallons! Dang

my take on break in;

Yeah it was the vent I ripped it apart and gutted it. I think maybe it was missing a little piece between the filter and the baffle as I see it. The 2 pieces were smashed together so it couldn’t breathe.
It is a lot of saw, but it does exactly what I bought it to do, and that’s chew up big rounds. It’s amazing how much chip it spits, and as long as it’s on the pipe it’s cutting hard. It’s gonna help out a lot with the big rounds that I’m getting in these loads, I can’t believe how much faster it is than that 455 .

Back