Husky 395 break in, how does everyone do it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rings need dynamic load to break in. The first few minuets of operation are critical. Letting them sit and idle is a good way to glaze a cylinder. Warm it up and get to it. Dynoed enough big engines to see how long it takes when babying it. Moderate load at first then run it how it was meant to be run. Even so some of these saws take a few tanks till they really come into their own.

Rings need dynamic load to break in. The first few minuets of operation are critical. Letting them sit and idle is a good way to glaze a cylinder. Warm it up and get to it. Dynoed enough big engines to see how long it takes when babying it. Moderate load at first then run it how it was meant to be run. Even so some of these saws take a few tanks till they really come into their own.
I’ve watched a lot of the dudes that port these things on the inter tube. They get out there and go for it, and the saw just keeps coming more alive. I’ve been around dirt bikes my whole life, so pretty much the same concept, these machines are just under a little more of a constant load. I was telling my pops from the 455 to this is comparing a 125 to a 500. Just on the start these big saws are so throaty, and super responsive. It’s amazing.

Well she’s a ripper, throwin big ol chunks. Right through the eucalyptus just like I wanted. Only thing I didn’t like was it shut down, like it was running out of gas. I took off the gas cap to see and heard it suck air maybe that had something to do with it not sure, I’ll keep an eye on it. Oh and the thing is heavy LMAO, a big boy toy fur sure. Thanks guys for all the feedback.

Well she’s a ripper, throwin big ol chunks. Right through the eucalyptus just like I wanted. Only thing I didn’t like was it shut down, like it was running out of gas. I took off the gas cap to see and heard it suck air maybe that had something to do with it not sure, I’ll keep an eye on it. Oh and the thing is heavy LMAO, a big boy toy fur sure. Thanks guys for all the feedback.
Old gas or fresh?

Better check the tank vent before using it again.
Not good if not working correctly. Will cause lean mixture before stalling.

Sure

Idling for a whole tank seems ridiculous to me, much less 2-3, but that's just my take and I'm not expert. I am looking forward to breaking in a new 562xpg in the next few days. I'll start it, let it idle for a few minutes, shut it off for a few minutes, then put it in some wood and run it hard. I'll idle before shutting down.

When I got my 562 a few months ago I started it reaves it a couple times then let the chips fly! No mercy!!! Lol saw gets better every time I use it I feel.

When I built my 440 for my charger years ago I did the run it hard method. She runs like a top still.

I know it's brought up frequently how "setting the piston rings" is supposedly done best by running a new engine flat out right from the beginning....
I remain skeptical about that advice and have discarded it long time ago as hearsay, but it sounds cool indeed!

I have seen videos how some guys who build/assemble chainsaws for living are letting a bunch of saws just run at reasonable idle speed for 2 - 3 tankfuls at 25:1 - 32:1 gas/oil mix.
After that it's ready to use.

That's what I have done with my Diesel generator and two of my most recent new saws.
Just saying...
This is terrible advice please stop spreading it and do some research all the correct information is easy to find on the net. That is if you could ever be bothered looking up factual information on seating rings or I guess just keep believing in made up old wives tales.

This is terrible advice please stop spreading it and do some research all the correct information is easy to find on the net. That is if you could ever be bothered looking up factual information on seating rings or I guess just keep believing in made up old wives tales.
Could you share that information, or is it just info that we can search for on our own?

Can I just empty the tank, take off the fuel line going into the carb and put a vacuum to it? If the vacuum doesn’t release by itself should be the vent?

It’s the tank vent. Just drained fuel, and put a vacuum on the tank when sealed. Held at 5 no movement, well this sucks.

Latest posts

Back