Husky 435 trouble reaching rpm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftyz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My Dad took his Husky 435 down to the dealer a few weeks back to get the recoil starter replaced (he was mad at the saw and took it there in a huff, otherwise I would've just done it myself)

While it was there apparently they 'tuned it up' and ever since it hasn't been running quite right. When you give it throttle, it revs up about half as high as it should, hits a ceiling and has trouble breaking through it. sometimes it will get there if you keep the throttle held open with no load.

After running it like this a few times I realized that it ran great for a few moments before running out of fuel. So I ordered one of the overly expensive EPA carb adjustment tools, and leaned out the H screw 1/8th turn at a time. I ended up leaning it out 1/4 turn, and it is running slightly better, but it is still not revving right up to the RPM it should.

I do not want to keep leaning out the mixture for fear of damaging something, and I don't really want to take it down to the dealer again. What should I do next?

Ok, so instead of turning it to the right (lean) I should be going to the left...

I shall try it.

When I first started to make adjustments, I tried going to the left 1/8 turn, but it didn't seem to make any difference, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

From my tuning experience I would think the L needs just a tad more fuel to get the saw to transition from L to H . Set the carb up with both needles set around 1 1/4 turns out, get the saw running and set the L rich enough to get the saw to go to WOT quickly and easily, set the idle speed adjustment to get a good steady idle and then go set the H by tuning it in the cut. The saw should be burbling a bit set at 1 1/4 out on the H and it should clean out and run powerful and smooth at WOT while in the wood.

I agree with pioneer. Bottom out the screws and start all over again.

Thanks for the advice, I will try that a little later today when I have a break.

I watched a bunch of youtube videos this morning, and the saw is 4-stroking before it reaches top rpm, which sounds like too much fuel..

I'll reset them as suggested and go from there, thanks again

Check to make sure the strato air valve is opening properly. It should be closed at idle.

Went looking for the saw this afternoon but it was nowhere to be found. Apparently he took it back down to the dealer Monday morning.. :-/

Back